Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Helloooooo everyone! Got some great news as I am attempting to start out my first group of Black Ameraucanas. I have my three hatching eggs I got from a friend of mine who has excellent stock. @LeBlackbird and I actually candled them today and all three are fertile!!! :celebrateI've never been so happy in my entire life! Now I just am hoping and praying for a great hatch and that I'll get some show stoppers out of the little ones.

Update!!
AHHHH!!!!!!! :celebrate:wee:jumpy:yesss::highfive::ya

So @LeBlackbird had candled my eggs over the weekend and all of my Black Ameraucana eggs from Dennis are fertile. This morning I just candled all my eggs for the second time to see how things are going and OH. MY. GOD!

The embryo on the first Black Ameraucana egg was CLEAR AS DAY! I've never been happier in my entire life!! The second one is questionable cause I'm still new to this, but I think I saw some development on the third!!!! EEE!!! I'm so freaking happy!!!
I am so freaking excited right now!! I can't wait!!! I'm just hoping that my second egg is okay, cause it does have a hairline fracture. Also! My friend I got the eggs from said he has 4 Black Ameraucana eggs in his incubator so if they all hatch he's going to give the ones he hatched to me!

They're supposed to be all blacks. I'm assuming the blueishness is because of them being newly hatched and not fully dried out yet, but we'll see.

Ah! Could just be one that had more lighter down spread further than the others... I have seen quite a bit of variation in black chicks...

Would love to see pics once they're fluffed up and not in the red light, lol... :)

Ah! Could just be one that had more lighter down spread further than the others... I have seen quite a bit of variation in black chicks...

Would love to see pics once they're fluffed up and not in the red light, lol... :)

Maybe?? No problem! I'll get pics in a few. Also, quick question, is it possible to wing sex Ameraucana chicks? I don't know what I'm doing with vent sexing and I don't want to hurt them but someone said that wing sexing varies breed to breed.

Maybe?? No problem! I'll get pics in a few. Also, quick question, is it possible to wing sex Ameraucana chicks? I don't know what I'm doing with vent sexing and I don't want to hurt them but someone said that wing sexing varies breed to breed.

Nope, sorry... wing sexing is only possible from crossing a fast feathering bird/breed to a slow feathering bird/breed... vent sexing or waiting til they grow out is the only accurate way to sex Ameraucanas...

Back
Top Bottom