Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
Are you opposed to shipping young birds? Not cheap, but you'd get some. I may have some peachick line youngsters for sale in a few months.

Quote:
Are you opposed to shipping young birds? Not cheap, but you'd get some. I may have some peachick line youngsters for sale in a few months.

No, shipping would be okay. What price range are we talking? Do I have to talk to my banker first
ep.gif
I know shipping older birds isn't cheap
th.gif

Local fair today saw a lovely EE roo (with green legs) entered as an "Americauna". He took first place. There was a blue hen beside him also entered as an "Americauna" - closer to a real Blue Ameraucana (legs were the right color) although the comb was wrong. She also had a "1st" on her card. (Not a junior entry either.)
roll.png

Last edited:
I haven't posted here before, but I have been checking out the pics of your lovely birds! I have 2 Ameraucanas from Whitmore Farm. They are 10 weeks old. I posted in the What Breed or Gender section with lots of pics https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=560165, but I thought I might ask the pros over here on the Ameraucana thread - do I have a cockerel and a pullet?

Here's Midnight today at 10 weeks:
72371_377.jpg

And Midnight at 6 weeks:
72371_p1010222.jpg

I am pretty resigned to Midnight being a boy. I have a Welsummer cockerel the same age. He is much redder in the comb and has been crowing for 2 weeks. Not a peep out of Midnight.

Here's Lefty today at 10 weeks:
72371_419.jpg
72371_416.jpg

And Lefty at 6 weeks:
72371_p1010163.jpg

I am hoping Lefty is a pullet. Her comb is pinker than my Welsummer pullets of the same age, which worries me.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:
I just found Bev Davis' website about Marans and thought this was interesting...

Use care when purchasing "Marans" from sources. No matter how beautiful the color of bird, if the flock is not producing #4 or better eggs at some point of the laying cycle, the birds technically DO NOT QUALIFY AS MARANS, PERIOD. (According to the French Marans standard)

A "new variety" of Marans is NOT Marans until the flock produces the hallmark #4 eggs.

Is there some sort of a rule like this with ameraucanas? It seems like there should be a rule about the eggs. Obviously they need to lay a blue egg right? But should the hen be able to lay a certain intensity of blue? Because like with marans, the egg color of ameraucanas is something that sets them apart. I am curious if the ameraucana breeders club has a rule or a plan like this?​

Quote:
Is there some sort of a rule like this with ameraucanas? It seems like there should be a rule about the eggs. Obviously they need to lay a blue egg right? But should the hen be able to lay a certain intensity of blue? Because like with marans, the egg color of ameraucanas is something that sets them apart. I am curious if the ameraucana breeders club has a rule or a plan like this?

I'm not aware of any rules like this. We have an egg color chart. And I know some people cull for egg color, but I think this trait is really hard to cull for and I just make sure everybody lays a blue egg. I have a project hen that lays a brown egg. I'm breeding her to a blue egg cock hoping to get some green egg offspring. Soo.. I guess I'm really not a lot of help LOL

Quote:
Are you opposed to driving a ways? I have some nice ameraucanas and will be going to the show in Sedalia, MO Oct. 22. From there I will be at my sisters for a few days, and she is way down in the southeast corner of Kansas, just a little west of Joplin, MO. I could bring a few along if you were willing to meet me at one of those places.

My pullets are April/May hatch. PM me if you are interested.

Quote:
Yes, Midnight is a boy. Lefty I'm on the fence about...but am leaning towards girl merely based on comb. I was really trying to look over the saddle and hackle feathers, and I just can't tell on my screen.

Back
Top Bottom