Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
No difference. They're just called Silver because there's no other recognized duckwing colors, whilst in Araucanas there's Gold, Silver, and BBR - So the name duckwing is added to clarify that they're still all forms of duckwing.

Any guesses on gender on these two blacks? I'm thinking one roo and one pullet, but .... they are 11 weeks.
30736_11wkams_018.jpg
[/img]
possible roo
30736_11wkams_024.jpg
[/img]
possible pullet

And, just for fun - I don't have any true silvers, but this is an EE, John Bleme black roo cross - isn't this what silver looks like?
30736_rocks_030.jpg
[/img]

Quote:
No difference. They're just called Silver because there's no other recognized duckwing colors, whilst in Araucanas there's Gold, Silver, and BBR - So the name duckwing is added to clarify that they're still all forms of duckwing.

Well that explains why I couldn't see a difference!
gig.gif

Quote:
looks just like a silver to me. dare I say...I wouldn't be able to tell she's an EE

edited to add. I think you're right. the top one looks cockerel, the bottom one a pullet

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, which means the black rooster had Silver in him, and you got the 50% luck of a pure Silver.
smile.png

So that IS a silver? I have seen this happen in my F2 OEs and Del crosses- sometimes they end up (you'd never know) pure "breed of origin". I love it when that happens!

Yes.
smile.png

And yes, crossing any F1 x F1 from two purebred but different parents can indeed give you a small chance of offspring that are basically the same as one of their purebred parents.

Just think of it like this -

Splash x Black = blue.

Blue x Blue = 25% of either splash or black, which in essence, is a good comparison to the purebred parent.

But a case other than blue, we're talking about more genes, which means less than a 25% chance, but still, same logics.
smile.png

Now in a case as different as F1's from OE x Delaware, the best you'll do with is offspring who are COLORED the same as the parent, but there's so much else that is different. (egg color, body type, shank color, comb type, etc)

Last edited:
Cool!
Well- what happened here was my f1 OEs were Welsummer x Am. Then I crossed them back to the Welsummer roo. I got roughly 3/4 OEs to hatch and about 1/4 welsummers- in every way the wellies were to the standard.

Same thing with the Delawares- they are crossed to Delaware x Rocks. About 1/4 of the chicks are all Del.
tongue.png
I have yet to see if they breed true, but I am thinking they will.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry Illia, not even close. Her daddy was a White, her mother was a Blue, but obviously not carrying the proper color genetics.

And that is why genetic formula's are not absolute by any means.

Walt.

Quote:
Sorry Illia, not even close. Her daddy was a White, her mother was a Blue, but obviously not carrying the proper color genetics.

And that is why genetic formula's are not absolute by any means.

Walt.

But I was right.
wink.png
The parents weren't pure, but they did hide Wheaten and/or Silver genes.

Back
Top Bottom