Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:

Speaking of x-rays....When I have eggs shipping via air, I line the box with foil. Does this do any good, or would I have to use lead?
hide.gif
I've heard that my last shipmnet 14 of 14 are developing so....

Speaking of x-rays....When I have eggs shipping via air, I line the box with foil. Does this do any good, or would I have to use lead?
hide.gif
I've heard that my last shipmnet 14 of 14 are developing so....

Any metal keeps the rays out. That's why people wear tin foil hats....to keep the rays out of their brains.
lau.gif

But seriously, metal foils will help protect the eggs....but I'm not sure that they would get much radiation from ONE X-ray....not enough to cause developmental problems at least. But who knows how many times they would be X-rayed before the tech realized what they were looking at and let the eggs go through to loading.

cool.png
must be nice......
tongue.png
Florida in the winter....
Ins't it funny how we all like a change of scenery for vacation. We live in the Bahamas and love to come up your way to Pigeon Forge in the winter, especially for Christmas. We were there last year and woke up Christmas morning just as it started to snow. It was the first time my son had seen snow and we just had a wonderful time.

Ins't it funny how we all like a change of scenery for vacation. We live in the Bahamas and love to come up your way to Pigeon Forge in the winter, especially for Christmas. We were there last year and woke up Christmas morning just as it started to snow. It was the first time my son had seen snow and we just had a wonderful time.

You will have to swing by Nashville after they build the new theme park (we have not had one in 15+ years) Dolly Parton and Gaylord are building a water/snow park IDK what that is but it is a theme park. I can hook you up with some more eggs too.... haha

You will have to swing by Nashville after they build the new theme park (we have not had one in 15+ years) Dolly Parton and Gaylord are building a water/snow park IDK what that is but it is a theme park. I can hook you up with some more eggs too.... haha
I don't know how you have a water park and snow together either but sounds like a plan to me. Let me know when it's ready for action

I'll ask over here too....cuz I haven't gotten an answer yet....

Can an adult Roo get Wry neck?

My Lav Ameruacana roo (approx 2 years old) is staring at the ceiling. He can still eat, walk and drink....can't stay on the roost tho. His neck is twisted around.

I know how to treat Wry neck, but I don't want to give him toxic doses of vitamins if Adult birds don't get wry neck from vitamin deficiencies....

I don't have a picture, cuz he won't pose with his head resting on his back, he acts normal when someone is looking. I do want to treat him if adults can develop wry neck because he is my FAVORITE roo and I don't want to lose him. He eats layer feed, commerical scratch grains and any leftovers from my lunch the hens won't eat (at his insistance)

There are other roos in the coop...both are larger than he is...and we have recently started to have snow, so NO ONE is going out in that evil stuff, so there is a lot of coop time, with the door shut.
He might have gotten his neck injured from a disagreement with one of the other roos. He is Alpha, but that is subject to change as the 2 cockerals come into their own and possibly give him a run for his money. This "symptom" developed kinda suddenly....but not over night.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this problem.

Are you using medicated feed? The amprolium used in medicated feed can inhibit the absorption of thiamine (vitamin B). One of the symptoms of thiamine deficiency in chickens is "star-gazing." You may look it up.

Have you tried Larry Garner? You wouldn't have to worry about shipping.
I won't have mine seperated again for another month- they all free range together in the winter since 1/2 the birds are taking a break from eggs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom