Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

What happens when 42 lavender ameraucana eggs 4 days from hatching sit in an incubator for 4 hours without power because some dummy ran into a pole? Oh wait--they die. Silly me
barnie.gif

So sorry
hugs.gif

What happens when 42 lavender ameraucana eggs 4 days from hatching sit in an incubator for 4 hours without power because some dummy ran into a pole? Oh wait--they all DIE. Silly me
barnie.gif

I hope you didn't just give up... they are tougher than we think. I have had the incubator off for a 1/2 day and still had some, if not most to hatch. Even had a hatcher light go out and temp drop for several hours... still hatched.

It got down to 82 and was below temp for quite a while....my husband had to go retrieve our generator that we loaned to someone LAST SUMMER in the middle of a thunderstorm and downpour and got it going again, but I'm not holding out much hope....grrrrrr

He is looking at a "universal power supply" for it; didn't know such a thing existed. The whole "April showers bring May flowers" thing occurs for us more toward the month of March, with frequent thunderstorms and with that comes power outages, but usually not ever this long. Far removed from the epic drought of last summer around here...

I was also concerned about my new chicks from John. They were half an order I split with Paul that was carried over from LAST YEAR because there were fertility issues in the breeders for him last year. I finally got them this last week and was concerned about them, too, since the brooder light was not running. But I went out and checked on them and they are all snuggled warmly under the protective wings of their older chick companions who are feathered and bigger. It's a funny sight seeing chicks acting like broodies.

Thanks for the condolences. I have the breeders, so I can collect and hatch more eggs, but in south Texas there is a very small window of opportunity to ship chicks and share with others who want to work on the variety, and this sets me back a month.

Hey Jean, ABC members in NC--the Marshalls--got some lav eggs, so maybe another family who shows will be putting some lavs out there....

Sorry to hear that Cindy. Hopefully they will be OK. Not exactly the same thing, but perhaps a ray of hope...I just had someone call me yesterday to say that the bantam Am chicks they thought they had killed with a 122 degree temp spike are hatching! There's always hope!!!
fl.gif

It got down to 82 and was below temp for quite a while....my husband had to go retrieve our generator that we loaned to someone LAST SUMMER in the middle of a thunderstorm and downpour and got it going again, but I'm not holding out much hope....grrrrrr

He is looking at a "universal power supply" for it; didn't know such a thing existed. The whole "April showers bring May flowers" thing occurs for us more toward the month of March, with frequent thunderstorms and with that comes power outages, but usually not ever this long. Far removed from the epic drought of last summer around here...

I was also concerned about my new chicks from John. They were half an order I split with Paul that was carried over from LAST YEAR because there were fertility issues in the breeders for him last year. I finally got them this last week and was concerned about them, too, since the brooder light was not running. But I went out and checked on them and they are all snuggled warmly under the protective wings of their older chick companions who are feathered and bigger. It's a funny sight seeing chicks acting like broodies.

Thanks for the condolences. I have the breeders, so I can collect and hatch more eggs, but in south Texas there is a very small window of opportunity to ship chicks and share with others who want to work on the variety, and this sets me back a month.

Hey Jean, ABC members in NC--the Marshalls--got some lav eggs, so maybe another family who shows will be putting some lavs out there....

Don't give up on them. When they are that far along, they seem more resistant to changes in temp. They may just be delayed a bit.

Ditto! Don't give up on them. Especially if they are 4 days before hatch...they are making some of their own heat by then right?
I had the power go out a a couple weeks ago. It got down to 80 inside incubator before I realized it. I then put the styro incubator in my car...lol It is always hot in the car if even thin sun is shining. But the temp still stayed low for over 5 hours. All my babies hatched! It seems like I always get pips late on day 19 and some on day 20 but this time nothing early. I was afraid they were all goners but late in day on 21st day I had little guys busting out. Interestingly.. with these ones the time from pip to hatch was very short. Sometimes it seems like they can take a whole day to finally get out after the first pip.

Back
Top Bottom