Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I have a black Ameraucana roo and a Lav hen and hatched this one chick out just to see what I would get. Shouldn't it be black?? Or does this mean my roo is a lav carrier?? Thanks.

Looks like a lav to me. Your black must be split for lav. All your chicks from the lav hen should be 50/50 then (50% lav/ 50% splits), but watch for clean faces. Can't tell if that chick is clean faced or just wet. If they don't have muffs at hatch; they won't get them later....you can save yourself some feed if you know that going in.....Good Luck!

I got some better pics of our boy. I posted last week about him. He looked much leggier in the pics than he does usually. I took really bad pics that day apparently. My Orp also looked too leggy, but my son won best LF at the show this morning with him, and I got asked to give my contact info by people who loved our Ameraucanas and told me they were very nice and it was hard to find Am's as nice as mine. There were others in the show, but I thought out did look better. ;) They actually were missed by the judges during the show, so they didn't get placed. :( They were placed on a back row by themselves b/c the others placed there did not show up, so I guess the judges just missed them. We'll see for the fall! Anyway, here are some better pics of our Happy, one of my son's birds. He named him when he was a fuzzy peep and we were hoping he was a girl. LOL. All of my oldest son's favorites turn out to be roos!

Anyway, here he is, better pics this time. LMK what you think and what I should be looking for for improving my birds for breeding. He is only 6 mos old, so I am sure he has a bit of filling out to do! I am hoping those people didn't give me a big head and he is as nice as I think he is! LOL. So feel free to put me in my place!

I really like the blue ameraucanas. I am researching a project to try and get lacing on blue ameraucana. They are supposed to have black lacing around each feather.
I got my copy of the Standard of Perfection and was really surprised at the description. There is supposed to be definite sharp lacing on every feather... even shank and tail feathers! And this is not to be confused with "edging". E/E based blues will have faint edging.

http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=1797&f=2

I have a pair of White Ameraucana Bantams, that I want to sell, the chicks do hatch out white. I was wanting to know what a fair price would be to start at.

I really like the blue ameraucanas. I am researching a project to try and get lacing on blue ameraucana. They are supposed to have black lacing around each feather.
I got my copy of the Standard of Perfection and was really surprised at the description. There is supposed to be definite sharp lacing on every feather... even shank and tail feathers! And this is not to be confused with "edging". E/E based blues will have faint edging.

http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=1797&f=2

Really??? I didn't know that. I thought only Blue Andalusians were supposed to have the black lacing. How are you trying to add the black lacing? I am new to breeding, so if you would like to share, I am interested in trying to improve the breed as well. I am trying to cut back on the number of breeds I have this year so that I can concentrate on the ones I am interested in breeding. My bbs Am's are one, my Penedesencas are my true love, though. lol. And my son is really into bbs Orps. Seems like a lot!

My boy has darker gray edging on all of his feathers, hard to see in the pics I posted. Actually, I shouldn't call him my boy. He's been my son's since the day he hatched. The girls are mine though. lol

Oh, I just read part of the thread you linked! I actually have 2 blue Andalusians. They are from My Pet Chicken though, and the lacing on my blue is terrible. Really terrible. My other is splash. And their eggs are cream, not white. I like them, though, they're still pretty and aren't mean or anything, nice pullets. I was really interested in getting into Andalusians, but I got disheartened by the poor quality of the ones I got and decided to concentrate on the breeds I truly love. I have a VERY nice bantam Andalusian pullet that came out of my black bantam roo and my splash bantam hen. My hen looks like a cross between an Andalusian and a OEGB though. But that can be improved. Her eggs are also cream, not white. I hatched a cockerel and a pullet so far from them. The cockerel is just plain blue, not black lacing. But the pullet is unbelievably gorgeous, just perfect. I need to breed them again as soon as mama is done brooding her 2 week old chicks. I was hoping to get some more Andalusians from her, but it looks like our Wheaten Penedesenca might be the daddy of both. Poor little hen getting bred by a big boy. I really would like to keep them in separate pens, and I have tried but they fly out and I haven't been able to find the time to put a roof on yet, with goat babies and lots of other things taking priority over my time. At least the Penedesenca is a lightweight. :) I think I got some extra project chicks when I happened to get them out of a mixed bantam bin without knowing what they were. I also got a Pyncheon and a salmon Faverolles with very nice color who is halfway between bantam and LF in size. LOL.

Last edited:
Quote:
Join the ameraucana breeders club and work on it with us! I don't think anyone has talked about bantams. You could work on blue bantam ameraucanas using your bantam andalusian.

I think a lot of breeds of birds that are blue are supposed to have lacing but do not. ( Not to be confused with self blue or Lavender.) I also discovered that blue marans are supposed to be laced but at present only have edging. It is now my mission... laced birds of the world unite! lol
Ok but really, this is my pet project. Laced blue ameraucana.

Back
Top Bottom