Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

She's not going to get much wider. She is narrow in the cushion/saddle area which is why her tail looks like that. She does have a nice spread in her tail though.

I would use her and see what she throws if she is all you have.

Ok- thanks. I do have plenty of girls, but I like the feather quality I got on her so far. Still need to hatch more to see if the outcross really helped. Looks like most of the broodies are done and will be back to laying again soon.
fl.gif

I just want to say that I am in my 3rd year of seriously breeding chickens (Ameraucana) without this website I would not have as much knowledge as I do. I appreciate all comments, suggestions, and advice from all members no matter how big or small. The Ameraucana breed to me seems different because: it is a newer breed, and people get so confused if there chickens are even "pure" Ameraucana, Easter Eggers, or layer/pet quality Ameraucanas. Right now this site to me is a general chicken education tool, with some bonus material on the breed I raise. I am a member of the ABC and I would gladly vote, or give my opinion on the subject....................but.......................no one has asked me.

I don't know the whole history of self-blue, lavender, and so on. So the people who want to make the change or standard needs to make an official statement/document, it needs to be distributed to the membership, then the data compiled, analyzed, then you can make changes/or stay the same after that. If the APA wants it uniform across the board then they need to tell breed associations that a head of time.

I breed rabbits for years when I was younger. I raised Rex, there is so many colors of gray! There is Blue, Lilac, Opal, Lynx.............and even more grays in other breeds Steel, Chinchilla......

I think someone on here seems to talk a lot about splash. I am not trying to start a fight, please keep that in mind! They seem like they have a issues with them because they don't breed true. Well, they genetically can't. Black, Blue and Splash is special. I don't see any reason why Splash can't be accepted. If you breed one to the other you are 100% sure of want you will get, B/B/S! That is better the 50% breeding true. All three would be accepted. Its not like we are breeding B/B/S and getting purple and want that to be accepted. If you breed a splash to a splash and it is mostly white?????????????? Well when you create the standard, decide if that's acceptable or not. ???????????????????? If you don't want it to be accepted then we would cull the ones that are mostly white, if you say you want them to have 25% black or blue plumage, that is what we would breed for.

If I am off my rocker please correct me........................try not to be mean I am a little sensitive today :)

I am genuinely NOT trying to stir up trouble, just trying to understand. I've heard the genetic argument before - we need to call them "lavender" because that is the gene but the truly genetic blue bird is called "splash" and isn't even "blue" in many cases. What is actually visually "blue" only carries one copy of the Bl gene. Many black chickens are based on ER (with modifiers) which is actually the birchen gene and not E (black) yet they are called black. So why is the lavender label so important? What's wrong with "self-blue", a label that is already accepted and being used around the world? I truly don't get it.
idunno.gif

hide.gif

I think splash breed true- when bred together they produce randomly patterned white and blue spotted offspring.
Its that the pattern and tones can be inconsistent, therefore they are thought to be hard to standardize.

I wouldn't want to let a technicality discourage anybody from raising splash though. Its so trivial.

I am genuinely NOT trying to stir up trouble, just trying to understand. I've heard the genetic argument before - we need to call them "lavender" because that is the gene but the truly genetic blue bird is called "splash" and isn't even "blue" in many cases. What is actually visually "blue" only carries one copy of the Bl gene. Many black chickens are based on ER (with modifiers) which is actually the birchen gene and not E (black) yet they are called black. So why is the lavender label so important? What's wrong with "self-blue", a label that is already accepted and being used around the world? I truly don't get it.
idunno.gif

hide.gif

It would be a slam dunk if proposed that way. I am not certain of this, but it seems as if what they are called is the only reason lavenders are not ready to be accepted. Maybe it is also the type I don't know. I can say that the APA would have no problem accepting them under self blue if they have good AM type and meet the other requirements.
If the APA accepts them more than likely the ABA would as well. For obvious reasons both clubs want to have the same descriptions in their breed Standards.

Walt

I think splash breed true- when bred together they produce randomly patterned white and blue spotted offspring.
Its that the pattern and tones can be inconsistent, therefore they are thought to be hard to standardize.

I wouldn't want to let a technicality discourage anybody from raising splash though. Its so trivial.

The ABA and APA both have a standard for the splash color.

Walt

That is not the only reason the ABC has not applied to get them accepted. We still have rules to follow regarding the length of time and number of breeders required to submit. There are also guidelines to follow regarding the numbers of birds exhibited in previous years before submission.

That is not the only reason the ABC has not applied to get them accepted. We still have rules to follow regarding the length of time and number of breeders required to submit. There are also guidelines to follow regarding the numbers of birds exhibited in previous years before submission.

How far are you?

Walt

I think we are a year out on the breeders and I have been asking over and over again for members to show their birds.

So, if all goes well maybe by the end of this year or beginning of next.

Back
Top Bottom