Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I think different breeds lean toward friendliness, but each bird is an individual and doesn't always follow the trend. And I think friendliness can rub off, to an extent. I am raising some EO Basque, which are known for friendliness, with some other mixed chicks. This flock seems calmer, generally speaking, to others I have raised, and they all try to follow me out the door.

I am thinking it works the other way around as well. Not good for me. We will be selling them all if they don't calm down and become somewhat friendly. They freak out when we hold them and have already hurt my 3 year old. They are 3 weeks old today.

I hatched out 3 Brown Red & 2 White Bantam Ameraucana from Jerry Segler 11 days ago, I've seen him post a time or 2 on the board. I don't know if it's perhaps different lines of birds? Or Bantam vs LF? But these 5 are hands down the friendliest and most lovey chicks I've ever had, including my LF Cochins believe it or not. Every day I wake up and can't wait to go see them because they shoot like little missiles down to the end of the brooder wanting to see me. They hear a human voice and they're beside themselves with joy :)  Do some of you have Bantams to compare to? I've got some LF Lavenders and a Black Ameraucana that aren't anywhere near this friendly, they act like I didn't even raise them sometimes. I love these babies.

Mine are all LF Black and Blue Ameraucana from Paul and Angela Smith. Paul is so kind and easy to buy from. The chicks are gorgeous, just very unfriendly.

I am thinking it works the other way around as well. Not good for me. We will be selling them all if they don't calm down and become somewhat friendly. They freak out when we hold them and have already hurt my 3 year old. They are 3 weeks old today.
Three weeks is a classic spaz phase...it will pass, give them some time.

And the quality will be worth the wait
wink.png

Can you get some mealworms? That's how I make friendly babies... they can't resist the mealies. I have the friendliest bunch of Ams and Marans chicks right now that like to fly up and sit in my lap. I made sure I hand-fed them worms when they were in their spazzy phase.

My Ameraucana chicks are extremely unfriendly and act like such spazzes that they freak out the other, more calm birds. I have 15 beautiful blue and black Ameraucanas but I'm thinking about rehoming them. I did not realize they would be so unfriendly. Our white leghorns are super friendly and I've heard they are flighty. Not so from our experience.

This is my experience too. I have 4 blue/black and they are freaks about everything. I am hoping they settle down once they get out with the other birds but I am sure they will not want me handling them anymore. I have a hard enough time getting them now when they are in a tiny brooder cage. My Orpingtons don't want to be held but they follow me around like puppies and they are so calm & cool.

Oh, I didn't realize there was spazzy phase- LOL! I tried red wrigglers & they screamed
ep.gif
& ran from them too! I guess I could pick up some meal worms on my way home if you think it will help...

Can you get some mealworms? That's how I make friendly babies... they can't resist the mealies. I have the friendliest bunch of Ams and Marans chicks right now that like to fly up and sit in my lap. I made sure I hand-fed them worms when they were in their spazzy phase.

I think of Ameraucanas as the Thoroughbreds of the chicken world. They do tend be alert and highly-reactive which makes them spazzy if they get provoked. However, my Ameraucanas are also the friendliest birds on the property because I make a point of building their trust through bribery (with treats) and daily handling. A couple are even confirmed lap birds. Even from breeders that don't promote their birds as particularly friendly. I find my Black Copper Marans MUCH more difficult to handle than the Ameraucanas although they aren't as flighty. Some of my Silkies are even snobbier than my Ameraucanas - a couple of the young Silkie cockerels will take a swipe at me if I try to touch them! Bums!

Back
Top Bottom