Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Christie - Cute!

Happy - Looking more closely now... Your comment reminds me of a friend from the south who was always comparing things to a "soup sandwich"! :D

So anyone have a 'leakage' pic to share? Does leakage = EE? Or just not a bird for breeding? How common is it?

Ha- I do hear that "soup sandwich" a lot around here.

Leakage doesn't mean EE, but unless you were expecting leakage because you are working on a new color or something, you should NOT use them for breeding. His sisters may carry it also, it just shows up more in the males. Its near impossible to get rid of.

Last edited:
Thanks you for the site, this will be very helpful to me as well
smile.png

Any copies of the SOP you find online will be several decades old. The APA just added almost 100 illustrations this last revision, so that gives you an idea how different a new one is to an out of copyright versions. There have also been text changes over the years. It is a good way to find some info if you don't want to spend $59 shipped for a fully illustrated color version of the SOP... There are no free color versions of the SOP online.

Walt

Last edited:
Well, I am finally caught up again after going thru about 10 pages to do so! A couple of quick things:

1) Not to start up a topic that has probably been beat to death now but I did promise I would let y'all know what the "Old Timer" said regarding Ameraucanas that are from two different varieties and not genetically compatible (i.e. a BBS x WBS). He said it is an Easter Egger. So take it for what it's worth but this guy was instrumental in the breed from the very foundation.

2) To the person who was asking about the W/BW 14 week old cockerels: Way too early to tell. You'll want to give them at least another 20 weeks and probably more to make your picks. Along the same lines, to the person who asked about her pullets: Start with what you have. Develop a breeding plan based on a set of priorities. I recommend no more than two to start with. Line breed. Keep meticulous records. Work towards improvement from where you are now.

3) Along those lines: to the person who mentioned Kenny Troiano's articles and my bringing him up. You're welcome and I highly recommend others read his articles/books too. I find his articles solid, easily followed, and common sensical.

God Bless,

This first one is very pretty.
I have a ee that looks like the second one.. very nice chickens..
Nothing wrong with keeping EE especially if you are selling eggs to people for eating. makes the egg basket interesting.
Thank You
smile.png
, I'm gonna breed them too for fun.

Back
Top Bottom