Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Both of them hatched out of blue eggs, they look a lot like the Silver bantam and the other one looks like the black bantam.. I guess I'll have to wait to see them grow a bit more and feather all the way out.

Hubba hubba!

As for sexing by comb- sometimes you can tell. If you can see the 3 distinct rows of peas then its a male. Problem is, some varieties have been bred to have smaller and smaller combs and they are really difficult to see.
also, can an ameraucana pullet have 3 distinct rows?

Both of them hatched out of blue eggs, they look a lot like the Silver bantam and the other one looks like the black bantam.. I guess I'll have to wait to see them grow a bit more and feather all the way out.
SIlver would not be that color, and the other one is blue cuckoo. The spot on its head means it has the barring gene. Ameraucanas should NEVER have yellow beaks.

Amazing! I just got 12 BEAUTIFUL eggs! All fertile and all for free from a very nice breeder! I can't thank her enough! These are beautiful!
600262c2-beb3-a888.jpg

Not sure if anybody remembers, but earlier this year when I was hatching my lavender cuckoo projects I got a solid blue chick. I kept her just to see what she was. This is her now:

Our best guess is my lavs have silver way back in them somewhere and this is what happens when you add a barring gene.
tongue.png

For all of you who enjoy the "AWW" factor, I humbly submit this video of Preemie's first steps. Preemie is the daughter of Sande, who died recently due to the heat wave. I'm glad we worked so hard for her. She is now an intensely colored Wheaten Ameraucana pullet. She had trouble getting out of her egg and so we assisted hatching. She was very small. Her feet were underdeveloped and she could not walk. They would turn under when she tried to stand. I splinted them every morning and every night. We did physical therapy with her. We really wanted this legacy to survive and thrive. She suvived and is thriving and she's just as big as her mates now. Here is my husband Mark doing PT with her. Enjoy.....

Last edited:
I am looking for someone who is NPIP certified (may consider a closed flock...). I'm looking for any color Ameraucanas. Preferably blue wheaten or just wheaten. Please PM or email me if you know of someone, or are that someone who is NPIP and willing to ship eggs or chicks- would love it if it was somewhere close to do pick up. I live in Johnson City, TN and will drive up to three hours or so. I figured this would be a good thread to ask about Ameraucanas. Thanks!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom