Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I think everyone on this thread will agree with me that EEs are beautiful birds especially if they have muffs and beards. That one of the things we all love about our AMs. I think I speak for all of us that if you have an EE, and come to us for guidance or comments, you will get what you came for and often be directed to another thread that specifically deals with the type of bird you have. They may be able to give you more help than we can.

I think that if you are trying to breed an new color of AMs, this is the right place to come for guidance and comments. Genetics can be tricky and sometimes surprising to say the least.

Occasionally, because the typed word is not as soft as the spoken word, some may take offense at the "shorthand" guidance or comments given here on this very informative thread. Most if not all of us mean no offense.

If you own AMs, or if you just are a curious potential AM owner, we welcome you.
love.gif

Denise
Paradise Found

Last edited:
     I think everyone on this thread will agree with me that EEs are beautiful birds especially if they have muffs and beards.  That one of the things we all love about our AMs.  I think I speak for all of us that if you have an EE, and come to us for guidance or comments, you will get what you came for and often be directed to another thread that specifically deals with the type of bird you have.  They may be able to give you more help than we can.

I think that if you are trying to breed an new color of AMs, this is the right place to come for guidance and comments.  Genetics can be tricky and sometimes surprising to say the least.

Occasionally, because the typed word is not as soft as the spoken word,  some may take offense at the "shorthand" guidance or comments given here on this very informative thread. Most if not all of us mean no offense. 

If you own AMs, or if you just are a curious potential AM owner, we welcome you.:love

Denise
Paradise Found
Thank you Denise. This is very nice :)

I think we can offer direction without being so rash about it.

I think everyone on this thread will agree with me that EEs are beautiful birds especially if they have muffs and beards. That one of the things we all love about our AMs. I think I speak for all of us that if you have an EE, and come to us for guidance or comments, you will get what you came for and often be directed to another thread that specifically deals with the type of bird you have. They may be able to give you more help than we can.

I think that if you are trying to breed an new color of AMs, this is the right place to come for guidance and comments. Genetics can be tricky and sometimes surprising to say the least.

Occasionally, because the typed word is not as soft as the spoken word, some may take offense at the "shorthand" guidance or comments given here on this very informative thread. Most if not all of us mean no offense.

If you own AMs, or if you just are a curious potential AM owner, we welcome you.
love.gif

Denise
Paradise Found
goodpost.gif

love.gif

Denise
Paradise Found
Nicely put. However, I am not quite as nice. Often it seems the main topic of this thread is redirecting those EE owners who have been mislead by hatcheries and other breeders who have misrepresented what they are selling, either knowingly or not.

It seems that if people took the time to read some of this thread PRIOR to posting we wouldn't have to have this discussion every 2 pages.

I have EEs, I like my EEs. They lay more reliably and larger eggs than my Ams. I often urge people to buy these rather than my Ams if they are interested in a layer flock.

BUT, this the is the Ameraucana thread. Very little gets said about type and breeding other than for new colors. Breeding for better egg production/size is also sorely needed.

Clare

I hope and pray a few of mine in the incubator are show quality. We are keeping 4-5 out of the 17 and starting off through 4-h to familiarize ourselves with showing before the kids head off to the APA/ABA shows. I'll do all the preparing and work at home while my husband takes the kids and their Ameracuana's to the shows. The hatching eggs look beautiful and I pray they stay that way. Lockdown was yesterday. I'm a nervous wreck and I have no clue what I'm doing or where to start. I know for sure I'm sticking with this breed!

Here are some of my eggs I'm hoping to hatch.
600262c2-0c2a-6a7e.jpg

If these do not work out, I'll start over next spring buying from the ABA/APA again. Not a cheap hobby to get into either. I wish I knew if I'm heading down the right road.

Nicely put.  However, I am not quite as nice.  Often it seems the main topic of this thread is redirecting those EE owners who have been mislead by hatcheries and other breeders who have misrepresented what they are selling, either knowingly or not. 

It seems that if people took the time to read some of this thread PRIOR to posting we wouldn't have to have this discussion every 2 pages.

I have EEs, I like my EEs.  They lay more reliably and larger eggs than my Ams.  I often urge people to buy these rather than my Ams if they are interested in a layer flock.

BUT, this the is the Ameraucana thread.  Very little gets said about type and breeding other than for new colors.  Breeding for better egg production/size is also sorely needed. 

Clare
Most people see the first few pages and see birds that have similar type to theirs (leaving out colour here) and assume they are in the right place. I haven't heard of any other breed that becomes a mutt when two colours are mixed or when something about them is not up to the SOP. Just because a barred rock has irregular barring, doesn't make them any less of a barred rock. Lesser quality only. Not a mutt.

So that is what confuses new comers.

Most people see the first few pages and see birds that have similar type to theirs (leaving out colour here) and assume they are in the right place. I haven't heard of any other breed that becomes a mutt when two colours are mixed or when something about them is not up to the SOP. Just because a barred rock has irregular barring, doesn't make them any less of a barred rock. Lesser quality only. Not a mutt.
Most EEs have yellow soles of their feet and willow/green legs. This did not come from mixing two colors together, but mixing breeds.

I agree.Most people do not expect show quality from production bred hatchery stock.A leghorn.Barred rock,R.I.Red none of these could compete with show stock.They are good layers.I feel hatchery bred EE are much the same.Very good layers of blue eggs.The green and brown are gone from many of these commercial flocks.Willow legs are the norm in these.Maybe it would be easier to explain the difference to newbies in these terms.Do not expect show quality in any breed from commercial hatchery stock.It is only my thoughts and probably would not help much.People often get stuck on a idea in spite of new information.

Most EEs have yellow soles of their feet and willow/green legs.  This did not come from mixing two colors together, but mixing breeds.
I have correctly coloured EEs with improper leg colour and improper colour with proper legs. It is a toss up. 3/5 have slate legs.

I am not trying to argue this. I'm just saying as a newbie, I would not look at legs and say: "Wow mine don't look like that - must be mixed!" You have to remember where they are coming from. How many of us were sold EEs in the beginning under the assumption they were Ameraucanas?

Back
Top Bottom