Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Just a little project Lavender Wheaten Ameraucana eye candy. After three and half years of work I finally have a breeding trio of LW's though it will be a while until I get some eggs still.

And my roo who is currently molting so here is an old picture.

My daughter had a 4H poultry show yesterday that went really well, but I came home with a few questions I hope the more experienced breeders here on BYC can answer for me. My question is if my cockerel is showing gold leakage, how would that manifest in a pullet, and would it even be evident on a pullet?

We have B/B/S stock, and some of my original black stock were Blk/Lav splits. We took a blue cockerel and three black pullets to the show. The blue cockerel started showing gold leakage in his hackles after we sent in our show entries. Since it is 4H and show entries were light we left him in, because the judge goes over each bird teaching the kids about how he judges each bird. The judge said my black pullets had a red tint/cast in their beards, ( which I didn't see) and that it came from the same source as the gold leakage in the cockerel. Our birds free range, so I would put any red tint or cast in the beard down to sun damage,not color leakage. The judge liked the type on our birds, and was very complimentary about them. This same judge placed an EE rooster labeled as a "Brown-Red" with willow legs over my Blue with leakage, and said that mine had better breed type, but that in an APA show the leakage would be a DQ. I know my blue was not correct, and knew that going in, and I am not upset about the EE roo, but it does undermine my confidence in the
judge's comments about the beards on the pullets. What do you all see, sun damage, normal black beards or leakage? Thanks everyone.

Just a little project Lavender Wheaten Ameraucana eye candy. After three and half years of work I finally have a breeding trio of LW's though it will be a while until I get some eggs still.

And my roo who is currently molting so here is an old picture.
I remember when you had posted some pics awhile back. I went to look for them, but never found them. Thanks for these new pics. They are so pretty.

Back
Top Bottom