Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Ok, I know about feather sexing day old chicks. What I am talking about is sexing them at 3-4 weeks old by their wing length. I was told by several locals that a males feathers will have two length and the females will have the same length. I got 4 chicks the other day. One Welsummer pullet...who can be sexed at birth by pattern, two Ameraucanas and one EE. The Welsummer, EE and one Ameraucana all have the same length wings....primary and secondary. One of the Ameraucanas has different length wings. It also had a fuzzy head pattern. Could this be a male? Can any of you check to see if your young roos have different wing length? Do your pullets have the same lenth?

If I remember correctly tail lenght works.Pullets have longer tails.Have not heard about the wings on 2-3 week olds.Check it out and let us know if it works.Myself I just wait until the cockerels comb starts to show.In many cases 3-4 weeks old.

I noticed you talked about getting better lacing in the blues by adding andalusian, so I figure I'd share my 1st gen Andalusian x AM

They have white earlobes, but correct combs and nice beards. And really nice lacing.

@ Twizzlebee ... very nice!

I took some pictures today.
Here is a pic of a 3 month old blue andalusian. I do believe that this bird has all the pattern genes.

And here is a picture of a bird with "edging"..

It is going to be a challenge in future breedings to cull hard and only use the birds that have real pattern gene, not just edging. This is gonna be a long road. lol

Christie,
I read back through a couple of your posts to where you stated what you had on hand and that you had separated ckls and pullets.

My recommendation as far as breeding matchups. I'd try the following breedings.

Blue A ckl x Black Am pullets
Splash A ckl x Black Am pullets
Black Am Ckl x Blue A pullets

I am betting that your best lacing on the f1's will come from either the Blue A Ckl x Black Am pullets or the Splash A ckl x Black Am pullets. The males usually drive the color/pattern tendancies. I am also betting that you'll see better comb results in the matings with Ameraucana pullets vs. Ameraucana ckls. I wouldn't be afraid of using the splash ckls either like you stated. You'll get the greatest Blue yield from this breeding and they are carrying the pattern genetics. Soundest Blue color will probably come from the Blue A x Black Am breeding.

Looking forward to seeing how the f1's turn out.
Tom

Christie,
I read back through a couple of your posts to where you stated what you had on hand and that you had separated ckls and pullets.

My recommendation as far as breeding matchups.  I'd try the following breedings.

I am betting that your best lacing on the f1's will come from either the Blue A Ckl x Black Am pullets or the Splash A ckl x Black Am pullets.  The males usually drive the color/pattern tendancies.  I am also betting that you'll see better comb results in the matings with Ameraucana pullets vs. Ameraucana ckls.  I wouldn't be afraid of using the splash ckls either like you stated.  You'll get the greatest Blue yield from this breeding and they are carrying the pattern genetics.  Soundest Blue color will probably come from the Blue A x Black Am breeding.

Tom

Thank you so much for that advice! I am printing out your comment so I can refer to it. I also want advice on breeding the andalusians. I have totally fallen in love with them and will keep a flock of pure Andalusian. I need to know the best way to breed these birds to keep them awesome. :) But this is the wrong thread for that.

Hey, Christie you may want to check out the Heritage large fowl thread. Their is a lot of info about Andalusian breeding right now. Here is a link to a bunch of info. Just scroll down.
smile.png

Christie,

My recommendation as far as breeding matchups. I'd try the following breedings.

I am betting that your best lacing on the f1's will come from either the Blue A Ckl x Black Am pullets or the Splash A ckl x Black Am pullets. The males usually drive the color/pattern tendancies. I am also betting that you'll see better comb results in the matings with Ameraucana pullets vs. Ameraucana ckls. I wouldn't be afraid of using the splash ckls either like you stated. You'll get the greatest Blue yield from this breeding and they are carrying the pattern genetics. Soundest Blue color will probably come from the Blue A x Black Am breeding.

Tom
Come over to the darkside Tom.
frow.gif

Just checked it out. I think there needs to be an EE "breed" as well under "E" for all the guys with EEs to post their birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom