Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hi Sharron! Sorry so long until I could message back. Well yes those two things are big items to notice. The other big thing is the colors of the chicken. If you go to the Ameraucana Breeders website they have reference photos. There are also project colors. If you are unsure of anything, just ask. We can help.

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html
thanks, very interesting

Very sad how some people will take advantage of others by misrepresentation. Of course, it could be that they just don't know any better and truly believe they have Ams, but that is even worse in my opinion. It's great when people are actively trying to learn the differences but selling birds when you don't even know what you really have is silly.

Are there any blue wheaten breeders in NY? I'd really like to get my hands on a cockerel or mature rooster, but some local chicks or eggs would do in a pinch.

This is amazing. I have a roo that could be a twin to yours. (At first i thought it was my picture). My laptop is being fixed. I don't know how to move things around on this iPad. Maybe colors are the same. Can't wait until I can put the 2 photos side by side. He's nice looking to me but I'm not a judge.
omg! You will have to share when you can! Anyone else have comments on him? I know his tail is a bit high but I think he has good comb, muff and beard....really trying to figure out what hens I want to use.with him.

Ok gals n guys, prob another dumb question but... Will my ameraucanas b mutts if I breed a solid blue roo over a wheaten hen? Just trying to decide what colors I want to pick up this weekend

Ok gals n guys, prob another dumb question but... Will my ameraucanas b mutts if I breed a solid blue roo over a wheaten hen? Just trying to decide what colors I want to pick up this weekend
Things are a little different in poultry than in other species. That cross will result in birds whose color would result in disqualification at a show and should not be used to produce further generations of Ameraucanas. So "mutt" is a term that really doesn't apply here.

Quote:
Excellent response, dak! I love how you've phrased it ....
thumbsup.gif

I know this picture is long overdue, but this is the blue wheaten ameraucana hen I traded for a few weeks back. From my limited experience she looks good to me except her leg color isn't really slate is it? They look a little darker in this pic but in the sun they are lighter. I would love critiques. Looking to learn a lot more about this fascinating breed. If she is EE please let me know! I will certainly not try to pass her off as an am if she isn't but she looks like she fits the bill to my mostly untrained eyes.

Back
Top Bottom