Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Dak, do you have any updated pictures of your Mottled project birds?
Sorry, I have a couple of the 2011 hens, but the cock and everything I hatched this year, I sold. I just don't have the pen space for another project. The Lavs are just clinging by their toes. They better get accepted soon or they may fall to one of my culling sprees.

My BW/W Ameraucana eggs:

And my birds... The Delawares don't lay blue eggs, of course.

I have a single muff gene issue in my flock and I think some pinched tails. All but three of the girls in these pictures are pullets. The pullets are about 9 months now.

My eye seems to pick out the green in Ameraucana eggs, whereas with my husband, he sees more blue. It's very interesting how it's really a matter of "in the eye of the beholder". Also, I feel the hue changes depending on the surrounding light, so it's very difficult to judge color. I've come to the conclusion that for me Ameraucana eggs will be in most cases more green than blue.

My BBS laid a C9 in my opinion. I don't know how others view a C9, but it's more green-blue to me.

Two of my W/BWA lay a more "bluish" egg and I can't seem to match the color on the chart:

Some of my other W/BWA lay a C7 or C10 which is blue-green to my eye.

Last edited:
I am 19 pages behind!!! Didn't think I was gone that long. I will have to catch up later.
My email account that all my notifications goes to has been having trouble and without those reminders I finally got out of practice of checking backyard chickens.com. No excuse I know.

Lark your eggs are amazing. I am just starting to get eggs from my John Blehm pullets. I carried my eggs all over the house trying to get the right light to photograph them. For some reason I am having trouble capturing the color today. They are much more vibrant and turquise-ey to my eyes than this pic. The one on the left I think is a B6. If anyone knows where to get A7 color Let me know! lol

I have 7 black am cockerels that I need to thin down. Anyone got some pointers? I am looking at combs, tail angles, beards, angle of the back, wide set legs... anything else? I might have to go out and take a whole mess of pics of them. They are getting REALLY noisy and my husband wants me to cull soon. Gosh how can I kill a John Blehm black Ameraucana? Almost feels like a sin.
lol.png

I am 19 pages behind!!! Didn't think I was gone that long. I will have to catch up later.
My email account that all my notifications goes to has been having trouble and without those reminders I finally got out of practice of checking backyard chickens.com. No excuse I know.

Lark your eggs are amazing. I am just starting to get eggs from my John Blehm pullets. I carried my eggs all over the house trying to get the right light to photograph them. For some reason I am having trouble capturing the color today. They are much more vibrant and turquise-ey to my eyes than this pic. The one on the left I think is a B6. If anyone knows where to get A7 color Let me know! lol

I have 7 black am cockerels that I need to thin down. Anyone got some pointers? I am looking at combs, tail angles, beards, angle of the back, wide set legs... anything else? I might have to go out and take a whole mess of pics of them. They are getting REALLY noisy and my husband wants me to cull soon. Gosh how can I kill a John Blehm black Ameraucana? Almost feels like a sin.
lol.png

I'm about to eat a couple "Jean Ribbeck" cockerels. I TOTALLY know how you feel, Christie!!!
wink.png

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

And, Christie, this is the point when we part company with our breeder of choice because WE are deciding which birds to cull. Don't you kind of feel like you are growing up, for better or worse?????

Back
Top Bottom