Amerucanas

PastorTerri2014

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Could someone please tell me what variety my Amerucanas are? My son wants to show them but we don't know the variety. When I called the hatchery we bought them from they didn't know either. They are about 4 wks old.

They look like real Easter Eggers so they would not fit the SOP to be shown. Depends if you are showing at a fair or not. The fairs usually don;t disqualify them, but in a sanctioned show they would be DQ'd. You really don;t have Ameraucanas, go to the Ameraucana Breeders Club site to see what colors are acceptable. Nothing wrong with owning EE's , I had them back in the 1970's before there were any standards or clubs.

When I ordered them I asked for Ameraucanas so I assumed that's what I was getting. I didn't get them for show purposes, just for the fun colored eggs. But my son decided he wanted to show them, he shows Golden Sebrights, so I am somewhat disappointed. What is the difference between an Ameraucana and an Easter Egger?

Yes, they do appear to be Easter Eggers. It's quite unfortunate and really unfair that places sell EE's labeled as Ameraucana's. EE's are great birds with lovely eggs but they are a mix and not a true Ameraucana. I have one EE and she's about our favorite hen.

The Ameraucana's Breeder's Club has a page with pictures of chicks and adults. You'll find it at this link > http://www.ameraucana.org/

Every EE I've had were great. My daughter picked out two (listed as Amerucana at the feed store) couple of weeks ago. Looked like chipmunks. They are the sweetest of this years chicks.

Enjoy them

Is she an Amerucana or an EE?

When I ordered them I asked for Ameraucanas so I assumed that's what I was getting. I didn't get them for show purposes, just for the fun colored eggs. But my son decided he wanted to show them, he shows Golden Sebrights, so I am somewhat disappointed. What is the difference between an Ameraucana and an Easter Egger?

Where did you order them from? I am only aware of one or two hatcheries that actually have real Ameraucana . If you read the "fine print" on most hatchery sites/catalogs you'll see key phrases like, "have some Ameraucana blood" or "also commonly called Easter Eggers" in the breed description of their "Ameraucanas" - which is their way of tap dancing around the truth and covering their butts from a legal perspective if/when someone finds out they have been sold EE and not the Ameraucana that was advertised.

Back
Top Bottom