Amount of Meat

Beccatrix

Songster
Nov 28, 2021
Wisconsin
I was curious what number of birds people keep for personal processing a year?

We recently acquired 22 dual purpose chickens, and are hoping to pick up some Sweetgrass turkeys this evening. We also have 3 ducks and 2 geese, athough those are all female and are for pets/eggs. Next year I hope to add a flight pen of quail. The goal is to have the animals brooding and raising their young (outside of the quail), with the chickens in a large covered run and turkeys eventually living in our orchard.

There is just the two of us, but we have chicken 3-4/week and go through 3 lbs of turkey/week on average. We were thinking that would amount to 100-150 meat chickens, but I'm not sure what number of turkeys to aim for.

Thanks in advance!

So apparently, domesticated/farm male turkeys can weigh up to 41 lbs live weight, and 15-25 lbs after processing... now just going off of the 15 lbs.... if you are eating 3 lbs of turkey/week, then (technically speaking), it would take you 5 weeks to eat one turkey... which means you would need, approximately, 10.4 male turkeys for the year

So apparently, domesticated/farm male turkeys can weigh up to 41 lbs live weight, and 15-25 lbs after processing... now just going off of the 15 lbs.... if you are eating 3 lbs of turkey/week, then (technically speaking), it would take you 5 weeks to eat one turkey... which means you would need, approximately, 10.4 male turkeys for the year
I appreciate the numbers. That's what I had come up with based on scale. Just trying to get a feel for what that looks like in reality for people trying to feed their families. Although I'm guessing having enough males won't be a problem!

I appreciate the numbers. That's what I had come up with based on scale. Just trying to get a feel for what that looks like in reality for people trying to feed their families. Although I'm guessing having enough males won't be a problem!
Oh ok! Sorry about that! I don't have any turkeys yet so I can't tell you from experience but hopefully someone here will be able to give you better advice :)

Back
Top Bottom