Ancona Ducks

Pics
A-DOR-A-BLE!!!
clap.gif
Bring on the Anconas.

Can anyone tell me what they mean by "tend to stay close to home"? I would like to raise Anconas, but only have slightly over an acre. I let my chickens free-range after they lay for me, usually after noon, and they stay pretty close to the house and out of the road. Will the Ancona ducks do the same?

I do not have a fenced yard, but do have fenced pens for raising and keeping the ducks in at night. If I kept them in a pen and did not free-range them (if they will not stay within the property), how large of an area would they need to forage adequately within the pen? I currently have two 40' x 70' penned yards that have direct access to a small barn with 4' high fences.

This past year, I used one side to raise 4 Rouens, and the other side was used to raise turkeys. But, we harvested all of the birds in the fall. I am hoping to raise Anconas and allow them to breed/set/hatch naturally (trying to get off the grid), and think that this breed may be the best suited for my purposes. I need a hardy breed, calm temperament, good for meat and eggs, good mothers, non-flying, good forager, that stays close to home.

Also, can the Ancona breed naturally without water? I know the Rouens needed water to breed, being a heavy breed. The ducks will have access to a kiddie-pool sized water area, but that is about it. Any info would be much appreciated.

I think the Ancona would be perfect for your needs. They are a great dual purpose breed being both great for meat and eggs, they have calm temperments, great foragers especially the hens, non flying, stay close to home, I never let mine go broody but I'm sure they would make good mommas because they are always trying to hide the eggs from me so they can build a nest.

By stay close to home they do like to hang out around the house. They forage extreamly well, but always come back to the pool and where they are fed. The don't have to have a pool to breed, however it does promote breeding and high fertility because they just love that pool. We use small kid pools here and that does just fine.

I think you would be fine to free range the Anconas. Probably the biggest thing I would worry about would be stray dogs or neighbor dogs.

Can anyone tell me what they mean by "tend to stay close to home"? I would like to raise Anconas, but only have slightly over an acre. I let my chickens free-range after they lay for me, usually after noon, and they stay pretty close to the house and out of the road. Will the Ancona ducks do the same?

I do not have a fenced yard, but do have fenced pens for raising and keeping the ducks in at night. If I kept them in a pen and did not free-range them (if they will not stay within the property), how large of an area would they need to forage adequately within the pen? I currently have two 40' x 70' penned yards that have direct access to a small barn with 4' high fences.

This past year, I used one side to raise 4 Rouens, and the other side was used to raise turkeys. But, we harvested all of the birds in the fall. I am hoping to raise Anconas and allow them to breed/set/hatch naturally (trying to get off the grid), and think that this breed may be the best suited for my purposes. I need a hardy breed, calm temperament, good for meat and eggs, good mothers, non-flying, good forager, that stays close to home.

Also, can the Ancona breed naturally without water? I know the Rouens needed water to breed, being a heavy breed. The ducks will have access to a kiddie-pool sized water area, but that is about it. Any info would be much appreciated.

My Anconas don't roam anywhere near as far as my chickens. They still manage to forage all day & stay active even in the foot of snow we got last night.
They just aren't laying yet. Soon... It always feels like the longest wait the last few weeks before they start.

I have a great flock of anconas. My primary group is full of color from black, chocolate (2 variations), blue, and lavender. I also have a few with multiple colors on them. My group of ~ 20 girls are cranking out about 15-18 eggs daily during the past month. My eggs are fertile and I have been hatching little ones out as well. My original group started with some ducklings purchased from Cackle Hatchery. I have since added to the genetics from some various sources (their origination points were not well documented). Last year, I added a group from Boondockers and also got 2 pair that were hatched out in Alabama at Worth-It Farms. The Boondocker and Worth-It groups are being kept separate at present to give me a bit more variation in breeding stock.

I am in the central area (Piedmont) of North Carolina.

welcome-byc.gif
Would love to see pics of some of your Anconas and welcome.

I have a great flock of anconas. My primary group is full of color from black, chocolate (2 variations), blue, and lavender. I also have a few with multiple colors on them. My group of ~ 20 girls are cranking out about 15-18 eggs daily during the past month. My eggs are fertile and I have been hatching little ones out as well. My original group started with some ducklings purchased from Cackle Hatchery. I have since added to the genetics from some various sources (their origination points were not well documented). Last year, I added a group from Boondockers and also got 2 pair that were hatched out in Alabama at Worth-It Farms. The Boondocker and Worth-It groups are being kept separate at present to give me a bit more variation in breeding stock.

I am in the central area (Piedmont) of North Carolina.

Can someone tell me what to look for as far as "good coloring" goes? I have a choice of 3 for sale and I want an idea of what to look for. So I choose the best possible one.

Back
Top Bottom