AGeese

Crowing
Jan 6, 2021
The Hawkeye State
Anyone have Angus cattle? I've been pondering the Aberdeen Lowlines in particular. I'd like to know your experience. A neighbor leased to a farmer with Black Angus, great beasts for sure. Docile and independent.

I could probably run 2 or 3 standard sized, otherwise 4 or 5 Lowlines in my estimate. I've thought about cow/calf vs stockers or maybe a mix of both.

Although I've got a pump, I've already been eyeing a location for another pond. Summer heat would probably bring the greatest demands on my water supply. Otherwise I could ask the neighbor to let me lease as they already have a full pond and creek.

I grew up with Angus cattle on our family farm. I never had any complaints. One thing I recall is that their calves are smaller than those of Herefords and other breeds. That makes calving easier. That was bad in my case. I had a heifer that was inpregnated by the neighbor's Hereford bull. We were out of the area when she gave birth in the woods. The calf was too big and they died where they laid. The calf was never fully expelled. That was almost 60 years ago.
The meat of the breed is great.

I grew up with Angus cattle on our family farm. I never had any complaints. One thing I recall is that their calves are smaller than those of Herefords and other breeds. That makes calving easier. That was bad in my case. I had a heifer that was inpregnated by the neighbor's Hereford bull. We were out of the area when she gave birth in the woods. The calf was too big and they died where they laid. The calf was never fully expelled. That was almost 60 years ago.
The meat of the breed is great.
I have experience with them, shorthorns, charolais and dexters.
Among them, there are no regrets focusing on Angus.
Sorry to hear about the loss. I hear people cross with Angus to improve other breeds, not sure if that's subjective bias towards Angus or true. But that's what I was hoping to hear, no complaints or regrets.

Were you in the business or just raising meat for your family?

In the business on a small scale. We primarily raised hogs but also cattle, horses, chickens and pheasant.
We had both cattle and hogs for our meat but we also sold to both area farmers and the big stockyards in East St. Louis, Illinois.
As a boy, I had what I considered major responsibilities. Beginning at the age of 10, I did all the castrations for both cattle and hogs. I would do about 300 barrows a year, not very many bull calves.
We only had a 100 acre farm but all our neighbors had much bigger properties, some with hundreds of head of cattle. One had 7 farms, one of which adjoined our property, He also raised hogs and cattle. He usually ran about 2,00 head of hogs. Most of his operations were cow herds and sow Most area farmed raised Herefords. The guy with the big cattle/hog operation didn't really care what breed, he had many. His focus was on the conformation of the animal which is to proper way to evaluate cattle, horses and hogs regardless of breed while keeping the charactistics of the breed in mind. Another neighbor raised exclusively Charloais. The largest operation right in the nearest small town (population of about 120) was a big Angus operation.

Sounds like the hay day of the industry down there. Cattle around here seem to be replaced by crop land, large scale hog lots, and poultry operations. Besides a scattering of cattle farmers here and there the posts and barbwire are all that remains of that era.

Back
Top Bottom