Another chicken N00B!

Pluviophile

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2023
Hi there! I'm Cindy and though we've been planning to get chickens for our ~1 acre homestead for *five years* some job changes and the pandemic had us putting it off until my niece (who works at a feed store) got my mother-in-law started on a small flock. We figured if she could manage it in a suburban setting, we should be ashamed we were still waiting when we have the room and resources to do it. From the aforementioned feed store, we purchased four pullets in early January and named them after all the grandmothers in the family: two Americaunas (Frances and Susie), one Welbar (Ruby) - all now 17 weeks - and one Russian Orloff (Hortense) - now 21 weeks.

I work from home so caring for dogs (we have three) and chickens is not a burden and we're feeling silly for waiting so long. SO glad we decided to get the chickens when we did because about a week later, the whole world went backyard chicken crazy and no one could find any here in So. Cal. that were more than a few days old. All selling out before they could grow!

We're trying to rehabilitate this acre after the former owner tractored it to dust for 23 years. Our chickens will be working chickens - handling weeds and giving us eggs. We have them in a good sized pen in our barn but don't have a mechanism yet for getting them outside (and we have predators galore!) We have plans for chicken tunnels and maybe a small chicken tractor eventually. I know I'll be mocked by some, heh, but our meat has to be anonymous - and we named these after the GRANDMAS - so our chickens will not be slaughtered after they stop laying - we'll give them the retirement home they deserve.

I just found BYC accidentally about 10 minutes ago when I googled: "Are wild oats good for chickens?" Got my answer but figured I'd better join since I have tons of questions every day.

Looking forward to the knowledge and experience you all have to share!

Attachments

• chickens.jpg
    chickens.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi there! I'm Cindy and though we've been planning to get chickens for our ~1 acre homestead for *five years* some job changes and the pandemic had us putting it off until my niece (who works at a feed store) got my mother-in-law started on a small flock. We figured if she could manage it in a suburban setting, we should be ashamed we were still waiting when we have the room and resources to do it. From the aforementioned feed store, we purchased four pullets in early January and named them after all the grandmothers in the family: two Americaunas (Frances and Susie), one Welbar (Ruby) - all now 17 weeks - and one Russian Orloff (Hortense) - now 21 weeks.

I work from home so caring for dogs (we have three) and chickens is not a burden and we're feeling silly for waiting so long. SO glad we decided to get the chickens when we did because about a week later, the whole world went backyard chicken crazy and no one could find any here in So. Cal. that were more than a few days old. All selling out before they could grow!

We're trying to rehabilitate this acre after the former owner tractored it to dust for 23 years. Our chickens will be working chickens - handling weeds and giving us eggs. We have them in a good sized pen in our barn but don't have a mechanism yet for getting them outside (and we have predators galore!) We have plans for chicken tunnels and maybe a small chicken tractor eventually. I know I'll be mocked by some, heh, but our meat has to be anonymous - and we named these after the GRANDMAS - so our chickens will not be slaughtered after they stop laying - we'll give them the retirement home they deserve.

I just found BYC accidentally about 10 minutes ago when I googled: "Are wild oats good for chickens?" Got my answer but figured I'd better join since I have tons of questions every day.

Looking forward to the knowledge and experience you all have to share!
Welcome. Beautiful chickens. I don't free range, however, my flock has a large 40x50 covered run, and a 3 foot by 100 foot chunnel. What a great idea to name your chickens after grandma's. As you, mine will be living the great life after they retire and will never be slaughtered.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom