Another Lockdown and Humidity Question

CharlesJay

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2021
Ok, let me preface this by saying that I know it’s irritating to some when the same question gets asked a zillion times; which is why I spent 2 hours digging through the threads looking for the answers.
I recently purchased an Anauto brand 24 capacity fan-forced incubator. My questions are:
1-What does “lockdown” mean (I swear I looked)
2-Has anybody here ever used this brand? (See photo)
I have no trouble keeping the temperature at the suggested setting, but I’m having trouble with the humidity. I can’t get it below 65%. I’m shooting for 55-60%, but no matter what I do; it’s either 45% or if I add the slightest amount of water, it jumps to 70%. I know that’s too much so I was hoping someone would be kind enough to share some advice. Please! Thanks so much!

Attachments

• E3A02171-1BC4-4D0F-83F6-352E704EB559.jpeg
    E3A02171-1BC4-4D0F-83F6-352E704EB559.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 4
Lockdown begins on day 18- you stop turning the eggs or take out the turner and raise the humidity. You don't open the incubator, you just wait. You'll read a lot of conflicting info on what the humidity should be, mine is at 60% for lockdown. The humidity will rise when the chicks start hatching so you don't need it super high right away. Are you still early on? That humidity might be too high- a good way to know where it should be is to candle and mark the aircells. There's a chart somewhere to let you know what size they should be on days 7,14 and 18. If they're too big, you need to increase the humidity- if they're too small, you need to decrease humidity. I have no experience with that incubator, sorry.

I wouldn't trust the humidity reading on that incubator, you need to buy an near to accurate (unless you want to spend $$$ on on a good hair one) hygometer. Those chinese incubators are well known for being bad at keeping and reading the humidity.

Hi CJ,
You can find some great descriptions on lockdown if you look through the articles. Do another search and instead of selecting "posts", click on "articles".
As far as humidity goes, you'll also find some information although opinions very widely. I started out my incubation adding NO water to the incubator and I was at 20% with a tested hygrometer. I agree with Erba, get a second hygrometer and make sure you test it for accuracy. It's simple to do and they're pretty cheap.

Back
Top Bottom