Another new member

mdlunt

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 4, 2019
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I bought my first dozen chicks almost 3 years ago. I built a coop for them from some Home Depot plans and they have about a third of an acre to scratch around in.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Due to a raccoon problem, I'm down to 5. I've now learned to keep them safer. Plan to get some more in the Spring.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Two Black Sex Links, two Rhode Island Reds, and one Buff Orpington.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love my girls. They are fun to watch and we really love the fresh eggs. They are just coming out of their molt (plus there is a blanket of snow on the ground) so we haven't seen any fresh eggs for a while. We can hardly eat store-bought eggs anymore. Thinking about raising my own chicks now starting this year..?

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Beekeeping, gardening, woodworking, motorcycling.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
No other pets. Our kids are grown and raising their own families. My wife and I are enjoying life as empty-nesters. Interested in eating for optimal health.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Google search. Doing research prior to building a new, improved and larger coop.

Looks like we used the same plans. Works fairly well but a little small for the number of chickens I would like to keep.
Exactly. I'm converting a shed on my property into the new coop. I'll be selling the first one I built. It got the job done, just a pain in the back to work with so it's got to go! And of course there's chicken math so I need a bigger coop! :p

Back
Top Bottom