Another Newb gets under way...

Got the roosts in quick this evening. I only hope they're spaced right. They're 2' 4" high but I plan on a couple of intermediate steps to get up to them. They're 14" from the outside wall an 13" apart from each other. Does that sound comfortable, chicken wise?

There is 18 inches to the roof as well.

Nesting boxes partitioned.
Nesting boxes blocked until needed (outlined in blue).

Removable poop board rails in place (outlined in red).

Question! The poop board tray will leave an 18 inch allowance for the hens to reach the roost using two perches yet to be added at this time. Will that be enough clearance for them?

Last edited:
Got the roof on and made a poop board.

Should there be flashing on the edge of the roof? Or will KILZ and a coat of exterior paint be enough?

Also, will the space between the poopboard and wall (18") be enough space for the chickens to make it to the roosts? With the help of two intermediate perches...

The poopboard will be getting some rails on in for support and to work out the curve in the plywood...

I have a concrete floor on my chicken coop. I live on an old farm and my coop is ugly but whoever built it knew what they were doing. We have a problem with coyotes, cold winters and, occasionally torrental rain. The floor and make almost like a giant concrete bathtub. The coop is built on a slant so all water or other liquids drain out of the coop. Preditors cannot dig under the coop to get to the chickens and cleaning is a snap. I just need to sweep, then hose it down and sweep again. I use small critter litter on the floor in the winter to keep the heat in. My coop is large. I would say about 100 sq. feet. My chickens have plenty room to move around and have a space for themselves if they want. It almost looks like someone used it at one point as a small barn for small animals such as sheep or goats. My husband and I fixed it up for chickens only and it works great! Concrete flooring is the only way to go
yippiechickie.gif

I am just getting my little coop in shape. It was a hand me down so I'm covering the old chicken wire with 1/4" hardware wire. I'm not a good diy person so the best I can say is that I have enough metal in that little coop and run to hold ft. knox together! LOL But I can't do the concrete. I am putting it under the front wing of our shed. It will have shade and some protection from the elements. As far as the varmints...I'm wiring also from the bottom edge of the coop/run down about 20" to the ground, then about 12" at least below ground and then flaired out about 6" with a slab laying on top of that...then covering it back up with dirt. My hubby laughs at me for being OCD with my coop! I just don't to have to go out there and pick up parts of a chicken!! As far as the flooring, we have a sandy type soil here so I'm going to get come river sand and make that the flooring underneath the coop and the run. I've tried to give the details so people can give me constructive feedback....what do you think.?

Back
Top Bottom