Another Pekin sexing question

southernchick82

Hatching
Mar 22, 2016
Ok so I'm a newbie with both chickens and ducks. I have 4 ducks - a blue swedish (I think), a mallard, and 2 Pekins. All of them are around the 4 month mark. The blue swedish is a female. Her loud mouth gave it away! She's giving us a bad name ladies. Lol! The mallard's coloring and mounting of the blue swedish gave him away. I'm just not 100% on the 2 Pekins. I'm thinking they are male which means I definitely need more hens! I'm gonna try to upload a video of their noises to see if ya'll can help me out. TIA!

Signs their males:pekins are the many breeds that can be sexed by the curl tail (that means male),and a raspy voice,which by now they should have,any loud mouths,and lots more Quacking popup,its a hen.I need you to get a video with just the 2 Pekins.I do hear a guys voice though.

But,I also hear a hen!

So far I've seen one trying to bite at the back of the other's neck. The other hasn't started to do that yet. I'll try to get just the Pekins but they are a very close knit group - wherever one goes, they all go. Lol!

It depends on age of the ducks...Hens do quack..loud at times. Males sound like they have food in their mouths..Never a clear loud quack!
You probably need more hens. When you go to buy them, pick the duck up and walk away if it quacks like crazy its a hen..That way no one rips you off and sells you another Drake..

Best of luck.

So far I've seen one trying to bite at the back of the other's neck. The other hasn't started to do that yet. I'll try to get just the Pekins but they are a very close knit group - wherever one goes, they all go. Lol!
the biting of the neck is probablya good sign.

I enevr knew that hens had freckles on their bills,learn something new EVERYDAY!

It depends on age of the ducks...Hens do quack..loud at times. Males sound like they have food in their mouths..Never a clear loud quack!
You probably need more hens. When you go to buy them, pick the duck up and walk away if it quacks like crazy its a hen..That way no one rips you off and sells you another Drake..

Best of luck.

Thank you. There is a chicken swap tomorrow at tractor supply store that I might check out. I've never been to one. I guess they might have ducks there?!

Ok,so the first Pekin leading the other one is a Drake.Do hear the voice difference in the girls Vs. the boys?The boys have a raspy voice...

Back
Top Bottom