Ants and wasp

Athena116699

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Hello, I would like to know when my babies are grown and go to the coop can they eat ants? wasp? Will they hurt them? The girl that moved just took her 37 chickens out of the coop a couple of weeks ago and upon checking it out and trying to get it ready for my little ones I found lots and lots of ants and wasp...please help.

Please I've been waiting all day for an answer. I know the my ladies eat bugs...but does that include ants and wasp.....and spiders? Or will they hurt them?

If there are wasps it is likely they have nested in there somewhere - find and remove (eradicate) the nest(s) before you move the chickens in. It is possible for chickens to be stung and have an adverse reaction to the sting - and even if not for that, the chances of the chickens controlling the population are pretty slim since the nest will be out of their reach somewhere and you don't want to have to be worrying about wasps as you go in/out of the coop.
Ants - my chickens couldn't care less about making an effort to eat ants - I would control those pests too (they will be attracted to/carry off your feed, etc) - ANDRO is safe to use around chickens - but, again, I would take care of them before moving the birds out - and then use it as needed going forward.

My birds will eat anything that moves, and that includes wasps, ants, and spiders. These pests are becoming an endangered species round my place. Still best to get the flying ones out and destroy the nest(s) as needed. I put DE on ant hills at times, other times I've seen the chickens wait at the top of the nest and pick the ants off one by one as they emerge.

The advice given above is good as well, different birds, different places, different results. You will find one that works for you, BYC is as good a place as any to seek out such.

Best to you and your chicks,

RJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom