Any good idea for keeping the ducks water from freezing in the winter but also so they don't make t

This is how I fix mine to keep them from climbing in.
200x200px-ZC-d2af6ce3_024.jpeg

Last winter I built a wire platform (1"x1" wire) large enough to put the heated water bucket on and also for the ducks to come drink around it (approx. 2'x2'). Then I took a lid from a plastic food grade bucket from the grocery store bakery and cut a hole in the center and latched it to the top of the heated bucket (as it did not fit perfectly). My Ancona ducks had a bad habit of trying to climb into the bucket and bathe, so the lid helped with this problem. It was big enough for them to put their whole head and neck down into, but not big enough to climb into (about 4"diameter). The platform allowed the water to drain away and also keep the element on the bottom of the bucket from getting wet. Keeping the area around the bucket dry helped keep the water cleaner longer, as they could not dabble near the water source, but it still got dirty. That's ducks for ya!
This year I only have Welsh Harlequins, who do NOT try to swim in their bucket, so there is no lid. But, I also have the bucket on a floor of smooth rocks so that they cannot make a mud puddle. However, the water still gets dirty. Ducks are constantly cleaning out their nostrils in the water, and dirt, grass, food, etc., will end up in the bucket. Fresh water daily is necessary.

Good idea about the wire platform. For bantam ducks, should I use smaller wire, like 1/2 inch hardware cloth? I don't want them to injure their feet.

Last winter I built a wire platform (1"x1" wire) large enough to put the heated water bucket on and also for the ducks to come drink around it (approx. 2'x2'). Then I took a lid from a plastic food grade bucket from the grocery store bakery and cut a hole in the center and latched it to the top of the heated bucket (as it did not fit perfectly). My Ancona ducks had a bad habit of trying to climb into the bucket and bathe, so the lid helped with this problem. It was big enough for them to put their whole head and neck down into, but not big enough to climb into (about 4"diameter). The platform allowed the water to drain away and also keep the element on the bottom of the bucket from getting wet. Keeping the area around the bucket dry helped keep the water cleaner longer, as they could not dabble near the water source, but it still got dirty. That's ducks for ya!
This year I only have Welsh Harlequins, who do NOT try to swim in their bucket, so there is no lid. But, I also have the bucket on a floor of smooth rocks so that they cannot make a mud puddle. However, the water still gets dirty. Ducks are constantly cleaning out their nostrils in the water, and dirt, grass, food, etc., will end up in the bucket. Fresh water daily is necessary.
Would it be possible to post a pic? I'd love to see how this works so I can maybe try something different next winter. Thanks!

For the bantam ducks, you might want to use the coated hardware cloth. That way it will not tear into their feet. However, it is too flimsy for a full-sized duck. I will see if I have a picture somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom