Any guesses on my "males added for warmth"?

Hholly

Songster
Jul 3, 2015
Amo, IN
What breed might these be?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
Looks like maybe a Black Australorp. Maybe a Jersey Giant as well. I've never had Jersey Giant chicks but I've heard how similar they are to Black Australorps and as adults the bottom of Australorps' feet are white not yellow like the Jersey Giant.

Looks like maybe a Black Australorp. Maybe a Jersey Giant as well. I've never had Jersey Giant chicks but I've heard how similar they are to Black Australorps and as adults the bottom of Australorps' feet are white not yellow like the Jersey Giant.

Ok. Wow, they sent 13 of these guys. Lol.

Thanks in advance!
Most likely they are male Black Australorps. They could be Black Jersey Giants (the bottoms of the feet will tell) but since Australorps are the more common (and usually less expensive) breed, they are more likely Aussies.

In my opinion Black Australorps are the best breed. You'll love them.
X2 on Birdrain92's post. Australorps are extremely hardy in both heat and cold, calm and gentle (great lap pets), and excellent layers of brown eggs. Of course the problem here is that since they are packing peanuts, they are almost certainly going to be all males. :eek:(

X2 on Birdrain92's post. Australorps are extremely hardy in both heat and cold, calm and gentle (great lap pets), and excellent layers of brown eggs. Of course the problem here is that since they are packing peanuts, they are almost certainly going to be all males. :eek:(
Hopefully there will be a mistake in there somewhere.LOL.

Last edited:
Hopefully there will be a mistake in there somewhere.LOL.
LOL! That would be a nice break and it could happen. Sadly the "mistakes" always seem to happen in pullet orders where you end up getting a cockerel or two. I don't think I've ever had a hatchery make a mistake the other way. Makes one wonder doesn't it? :eek:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom