Any hand spinners or knitters out there?

where someone takes either raw fiber or fiber that has been put into roving (then its all together in a strand but not yet yarn... at least thats my i am not crafty description) and spins it into yarn. i had pin-drafted roving made, so its been cleaned of vegetation (by a machine) and loosely in a strand. i think its also been washed but i'd have to check my bill from the fiber mill.

anyway, to answer your question.... its where u take raw-ish wool/fleece/etc and use your own spinning wheel to turn it into yarn.

I think it's be fun to spin, but spinning wheels are sooo expensive!! I can't knit though, so I don't know what I'd do with all the yarn.

Although wheels can be expensive, spindles are quite cheap. I wanted a wheel because I thought it would be easier to learn on. It is very fast and I do love my wheel. A spindle is actually really fun, though, and I enjoy that, too. Plus, you can take it anywhere and spin anywhere! People always want to know what the heck you are doing!
big_smile.png

You can use yarn to knit, crochet or weave. I think it's all fun. There are lots of web sites, books, magazines and classes. If you look around, you can often get a good deal on used equipment that is in great shape, too.

All of these are great ideas: the fiber festivals, posting on localharvest.org website, and selling it through eBay. And, I have a few more ideas, too. It just depends on how aggressive you want to be about marketing your fiber.

I don't spin but have plenty of friends who do. (And they're always trying to get me to start!) I've been knitting for over 10 years and have just started learning crochet.

My friends purchase their fiber from all of these sources. We also have purchased fiber and yarn at local farmers markets and craft fairs.

(YarnCon is being held here in Chicago this weekend and we're all sure to by something! http://www.yarncon.com/)

If
you're anywhere near a university or college town, you may also want to post some flyers or something there.
Knitting and spinning are very popular these days with people of all ages (including guys!) and a local source of good fiber is always much appreciated.

Also ask at any local yarn shops. You may be surprised at how supportive they can be about selling your fiber and yarn for you. When I say "local yarn shop" I DO NOT mean the big craft stores like Michael's, JoAnn, etc.

As a thought, you might also see if their is a local Society for Creative Anachronism chapter near you, there are a *LOT* of fiber artists in the SCA who are always on the look out for fibers.
smile.png
(start here www.sca.org/geography
smile.png
based on your location note, you should be able to find the local group here: http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/index.phtml#Oaken - but if you're not in OH, start with the general geography page and go from there.
smile.png
)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom