Any Home Bakers Here?

My dad went to pick them up because I had to get the spot for the brooder ready. Apparently Dunlap hatchery gave us six extras. The reason was “it will help them stay warm on the 2 hour drive home.“ Well, they’re free of charge they said, so I’m not complaining.

I guess I have 14 now.

IMG_2981.png

My dad went to pick them up because I had to get the spot for the brooder ready. Apparently Dunlap hatchery gave us six extras. The reason was “it will help them stay warm on the 2 hour drive home.“ Well, they’re free of charge they said, so I’m not complaining.

I guess I have 14 now.

View attachment 3825771
The extras are often red sex-linked males.

Funny you should say that, a guy had another forum pointed out the same thing.

I guess as soon as the males are big enough, and as soon as I can figure out which ones are for sure male, I can butcher them and eat them. I don’t want roosters because my mom has problems with them. PTSD and trauma, to be exact.

@ronott1 you may be incorrect actually. I looked at the picture I took and it looks like there are 2 Barred Plymouth Rock chicks, and I ordered 1. My father says it looks like there are 2 of each chick.

I guess it’s possible that they’re all hens. I guess the only way to be sure is to wait until they all grow up and see if there are any males.

@ronott1 you may be incorrect actually. I looked at the picture I took and it looks like there are 2 Barred Plymouth Rock chicks, and I ordered 1. My father says it looks like there are 2 of each chick.

I guess it’s possible that they’re all hens. I guess the only way to be sure is to wait until they all grow up and see if there are any males.
That would be good news!

Best,

Ron

View attachment 3825967

Here they are! All 13!

I miscounted.

View attachment 3825966

5 minutes later.

I’ve seen this behavior before. It usually means they’re too cold. Maybe it’s because they just got done with a long two hour trip to the house. If the behavior persists, I’ll figure out how to fix it.
if you have heating pad that will stay on. make a tent from a box or hardware cloth they can go under it get warm.
Watch the body language will say who it roo.

Back
Top Bottom