Any mechanics/ comiserators out there (Dodge 1500)

ksacres

At Your Service
14 Years
Nov 16, 2007
San Antonio TX
So, for lack of anything else to do, I'm going to proceed to mini-rant about my 1998 Dodge 1500 Pickup...

So, last year the transmission goes out right? We had it rebuilt at a little shop here in Cheyenne. Big mistake, that thing has never been right since but it limped along...

Now this year, a year and 10 days after the completion of the first repair, gears are slipping and the trans-temp light is coming on. What's a girl (that's not married to a mechanic) to do??

Cost us $2,500 to have the da** thing rebuilt and it only came with a 3 month warranty!

Garr!!!

Quote:
I feel for you! My 1983 Chevy wagon that I only spent $300.00 for 4 years ago and have spent close to $3,000.00 on keeping her running just cost me another $715.00.

Go on craigslist and see if you can find anybody that has a similar truck for sale for parts. Check your local junkyards and see if they have one also. Try also Kijiji and Freecycle to see if anybody has something on there. Sometimes mechanics list their services on them as well at lower cost than what a shop would charge. I know that things are few and far between out there in the wilds of Wyoming, but I would hunt online a bit for the parts.

Find a wrecking yard and get another transmission. Hopefully you'll get a good one. Even if doesn't last, you could go through quite a few used transmissions before spending the kind of money you spent on that rebuild.

I've checked craigslist and called the salvage yard. Nothin' doin'
idunno.gif

Why oh why couldn't I have married a mechanic??

There has to be more than one salvage yard around Cheyenne. Broaden your search, call all the salvage yards, and start calling the transmission shops to see if they have anything laying around or can turn you onto any leads.

Swapping a truck transmission is child's play. Shouldn't take but a few hours in the driveway with basic hand tools. Even quicker with a shop lift and a transmission jack.

Transmissions seem to be a common problem with Dodges. I'm sorry that yours has been such a terrible experience! I know that it is frustrating!

That being said, my hubby got his dream truck recently - a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel. The previous owner just rebuilt the tranny shortly before selling it, so HOPEFULLY it will be ok for a while. I'm scared that we'll eventually run into the same problems that you have, though! We should have just kept my Chevy!

You can try http://www.car-part.com/ to search other salvage yards nearby. It may be worth a shot!

I'm going to google transmission and see if I can come up with anything else in this area. I work at a Freightliner, surrounded by mechanics! You would think it would rub off at some point.

The problem would be that I don't just need a transmission-I need it INSTALLED!

Back
Top Bottom