Any problems with keeping jap quail in a fish tank?

Fish tanks only work well for young quail as it holds in heat well. As for feed, I will look into my book (of notes) on brands in Australia that may help you with your birds. It may take a few hours as I have to tend my birds
smile.png

Japanese quail produce a lot of ammonia (much more per pound than chickens) and would be unhealthy in an aquarium. I feed my adult Japanese a laying ration which has 20% protein. Growing quail need very high levels of protein but adults can do just fine at 20-25%.

That was good, JJ!

Aquariums would also be hard to clean. In order to have a large enough tank for just a small number of birds, you'd be getting into aquariums that are far too big to carry to a hose. You'd end up having to remove the birds, clean out the bedding, hose the sides down, scrub the thing, then siphon the water out. No thanks!

I just got my incubator and I am pregnant with 8 chicken eggs to see how it goes before I purchase some quail eggs.
I can put prolly about 48 quail eggs in it.

The fish tank that I have measures
1000mm length
380mm wide
600mm tall
(divide by 25mm to get inches)
With glass lids (which I will replace with wire)

its not been in use for 8 years.

My second solution if the fish tank is not viable to keeping the bath tub or the shower. ... there is no way I can cover the top of the bath tub but I can shut the door.... the shower is nice and tall though.

So between the fishtank, the bath tub and the shower where should I put my Quail chicks?

My long term solution is to move them to aviary cages that I have outside under the patio but I only have two cages up here cleaned and ready to go and I think I can pinch two empty cages from my sister's place. So I can hopefully have 3 breeding sets and one grow out pen type thing.

Does this sound like the right amount of cages for the amount of birds I am incubating?

Back
Top Bottom