Any tips for cracking eggs with no shrapnel?

Firechicken37

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Hello, I was wondering if there's a trick to cracking these fresh eggs without getting pieces of shell in the pan/bowl. We have mostly Americana and Buffy eggs if that makes a difference. I've learned how to hard boil them for an easy peel but I'm constantly getting shells when I crack them on a pan.

welcome-byc.gif

If your shells are fragile and shattering, you might need to supplement with some additional calcium. Oyster shell and their own egg shells are good things to boost calcium. Spinach and other leafy greens are also good.

It is best to crack them on the counter (not on the edge of the bowl or pan). When you crack them on the edge of something it makes little cracks and pushes them in, where if you crack them on a flat surface like the counter this will not happen. I think there was a thread on here somewhere awhile ago with good pictures showing the difference... or maybe it was a youtube video... I can't remember but after I saw it I switched where I crack them and can't believe how much better it works!

OP I am so glad you asked this question!!!!

I had resorted to cracking into a pyrex measuring cup with a pour spout. I would crack in the eggs, and whip up with fork and then pour off eggs leaving the "shrapnel" at the bottom!

Back
Top Bottom