any way to sex these 2 day old silkies?

smcdermott

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 9, 2014
Central Fl
I have heard that there is no way and maybe by the head or wings????????
What do you guys think?
Here is the yellow one

and here is the lavender one

They are so stinking cute and soft

Wing sexing works with cross bred birds. For silkies you'll have to wait until they are feathered out and even then it's hard to tell. Aside from the obvious crowing of a roo, most times the comb will be prominent in males, and the males tend to have streamers on the back of their crest opposed to females who are much more puffy and uniform. But even those methods can fail. I'm afraid you're probably going to have to wait quite a while.

We heard of the wing feather test but found it either unreliable or we were reading it wrong, I'm betting the latter...Other than that, we just wait, takes a while with silkies as some hens will form a small crest fooling us at times...

Do some of them stand more erect - more vertical? Could you post pictures of them standing up? My hatch last year of six silkies had 5 roos and 1 hen. All the roos stood more erect and aside from a difference in size due to who came out of the shell first all the roos were bigger than the one that turned out to be a hen. I kept second guessing myself cause I did not want to believe I only had one hen. Just yesterday I hatched three more and two of them are standing up tall like the roos did and are bigger than the one who is smaller and stands a bit more hunched over. - I'd bet I have two roos and a hen. The comb and wing checks were no help at all - there was such variety amongst them. Only thing that was reliably different between boys and girls was size and the way they stood tall.

I have heard that there is no way and maybe by the head or wings????????
What do you guys think?
Here is the yellow one

and here is the lavender one

They are so stinking cute and soft
I sex my silkies this way. Looks like the first one is a cockerel, second one is a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom