Anybody growing honeyberries ?

We grew some from Raintree nursery. I wish we had time to let them get large. The berries were mild and sweet, with a hint of blueberry flavor. Very mild berry. Tough plant. Pretty.

However, I would not let it take up prime real estate in the garden, simply because we didn't experience the heavy crops. That could have been our circumstance. I would definitely plant it on the edges, in the edible hedge because of its low demands. However, we haven't prioritized it in the new garden. We've focused instead on other plants that put out heavier crops in the same circumstances.

But, having said that, I would encourage you to give it a try! Always fun to try new things, and this one has many attractive qualites.

My experience with honeyberries was a bit different. A lady from Russia that develops new varieties of honeyberries had a nursery about five miles from me. I went by to look at honeyberries and ran into her. She said don’t bother planting them in Arkansas, it’s too hot and dry here. She was here because her husband develops blueberry varieties and the University of Arkansas is a leader in berry development. The technology may be here but her honeyberry farms were way up north.

So check out the climate requirements carefully. If you have the right climate they sound really good.

I have a few honeyberries that are still in pots. HOpefully from what you have said ridgerunner that this more northern clime will suit this plant.

HOneyberries is one of a few different plants ( berry plants) that I"m trying inhopes of finding a number of berry plants that will be sucess ful here as I tend to be neglectful of plants but I'm learning ow to tend these berrry plants for better production.

Back
Top Bottom