Anyone else crush real oysters for their hens?

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Grab some oyster shells and crush em with a rock! Saves me a little money, and I know they are authentic. 2yr old hens, never a hardness of shell issue. Unfortunately, i have to go to the beach in this winter to get some more!
3BE7BB88-E058-4B86-80C3-92216CA3E726.jpeg

B31C7D42-1462-49D9-A541-E06CB360663C.jpeg

yes I do; fortunately they're available on a beach in walking distance for me. It's not about cost for me. It's about sustainability and scale. I prefer to source what I can locally rather than use global supply chains and processed feedstuffs.

They are cleaner and easier to break up if you rinse them in fresh water to remove salt and detritus, then bake for 20 mins or so (when you've already got the oven on for something else).

yes I do; fortunately they're available on a beach in walking distance for me. It's not about cost for me. It's about sustainability and scale. I prefer to source what I can locally rather than use global supply chains and processed feedstuffs.

They are cleaner and easier to break up if you rinse them in fresh water to remove salt and detritus, then bake for 20 mins or so (when you've already got the oven on for something else).
We agree Perris. When i go get the shells i am sure to have a few errands to run 'out that way' I prefer to keep things as natural as possible for them. crushing oyster shells through the winter is a drag. This year i will crush many at once so I dont have to do it so often. I use a cheese cloth and a stone. Last year was my first year crushing them, and because we had 90+ degree days, i set them outside where they dried in about 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom