Anyone else have success with a game camera identifying predators or do something better?

matchmeadeinheaven

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
Franklin, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I came out back early in the summer to check the chickens as we do every AM. I found that overnight something had tried to dig under the coop and appeared to have been successful at entering. We have had chickens for a few years and it continues to be a fun learning experience. The predator had moved a couple of the bricks out that we had the coop sitting on to make it level. I caught the details on the YouTube video below if interested.

Our current coop has wire cloth mesh on the ground about 2′ around the coop to lessen the risk and hopefully prevent this. Keep this in mind with chicken coops. In the video below I show that we use landscaping timbers, rocks, and bricks around our older coops and runs as a wider barrier at the bottom. It has worked, but overnight in this instance it had failed. The good news in this case is they got in, but we shut our chickens up every night with a chicken door on the coop so no harm to our girls in this instance.

When I came out and saw this type of damage, I needed to find out what is going on at night. So what I purchased first was a Tasco game camera. It runs on batteries and uses an SD card. This was under $30 from WalMart and easy to install and setup. I did also purchase some tree mounts from Amazon to mount instead of using the strap that came with the camera. They came in a 3 pack which allowed me to move the camera around very easily. All I had to do is turn the camera on at night when I shut them up for the evening in the coop. Then, the next morning turn it off and pop out the SD card and review what was captured

Has others done something similar to their coop/run to verify what is happening when we are away? Would be interested to see if anyone does anything different or better than the game camera.

I have several game cameras. Some I have mounted on trees and some I have mounted on posts that I can move around. Here most of the predators roam at night so when I was looking for a camera I went on YouTube to get others opinion on a good nighttime camera. I was curious as to what predators were roaming around at night. I have discovered that most game cameras take good daytime pictures but not all are equal taking nighttime pictures. Here we have mostly coyotes but also others such as fox, bobcat, coons, possums, aerial predators. My coops and pens have electric wires around them, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens due to losses in the past from predators. Most know the electric wires are there so they don't mess with them. Good luck and have fun...
DSCF0010 02.jpg
DSCF0012 20.jpg
DSCF000199 03.jpg
DSCF000274 01.jpg
DSCF00031125 01.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg

DSCF0001tues 03.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200129_114729.jpg
    IMG_20200129_114729.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200324_110633.jpg
    IMG_20200324_110633.jpg
    852.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200324_110744.jpg
    IMG_20200324_110744.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 5
I have several game cameras. Some I have mounted on trees and some I have mounted on posts that I can move around. Here most of the predators roam at night so when I was looking for a camera I went on YouTube to get others opinion on a good nighttime camera. I was curious as to what predators were roaming around at night. I have discovered that most game cameras take good daytime pictures but not all are equal taking nighttime pictures. Here we have mostly coyotes but also others such as fox, bobcat, coons, possums, aerial predators. My coops and pens have electric wires around them, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens due to losses in the past from predators. Most know the electric wires are there so they don't mess with them. Good luck and have fun...
View attachment 2334443View attachment 2334444View attachment 2334446View attachment 2334448View attachment 2334457View attachment 2334458
View attachment 2334475
We thought we had it bad with some raccoons - LOL Thanks for sharing all the evidence around your chickens. Keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing, you made us feel better.

You are lucky it didn't lift the slider door, might want to put a latch on it....
...or just chew/tear thru the chicken wire walls.

Anti dig aprons might be better than heavier bricks/blocks.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Hope you permanently 'relocated' the ones you caught 3' underground.
We use a carabiner on our new coop because of what you mention on the slider door. And it was catch/release for us. My wife would not let me do what you suggest. My friends said they just counted the miles and will find their way back to our coop :)

Back
Top Bottom