Anyone else having my problem?

RAREROO

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Alapaha, Ga
I am in south Ga and my hens are about 16mos old and they have been laying fine until a cold front came through about a week ago and now they have nearly quit. They have already been molting and laying pretty well through it, (they're actually about finished molting) and I've also had a light on at noght for about a week now and it still isn't any better. I don't think I have ever had any completly quit all of a sudden like this. Anyone else?

My hens stop laying this time of the year. One Thanksgiving, I had to go buy eggs. And it doesn't even get all that cold here. It does get into the 30's at night, but there isn't snow or anything.
Your hens actually laid during molting? Mine never have. That's something new to me.

That weather sounds about like ours. And yes they did layduring the molt, they slowed down a little, but they did lay fairly well considering that they are molting. They are Barred Rocks and Speckled Sussex

I talked to a guy at the feed store last week who said that EVERYBODY who comes in is complaining about their hens not laying well. Mine are beginning (very slowly) to produce a little better. It was getting very frustrating to feed seven hens and get one egg every three days.

Yeah, it's just the way it goes, for the most part. I've been getting less since early Sept. Had some broodies, then the molt started. Now I'm getting usually 2 eggs a day form 8 hens. Sometimes 1, sometimes none.

Back
Top Bottom