Anyone ever buy eggs off ebay

I bought two sets of eggs off ebay - some Welsummers and Easter Eggers - each from a different seller. They are currently in the incubator - so I don't know the hatch rate yet. I've candled them all, though. Out of 4 EE eggs, I may get one chick. I'm pretty certain three are no longer viable. Out of 7 Welsummer eggs, I may get 5 chicks. I'll let you know in a week and a half.

I'm not real happy with the eggs themselves - a couple of the Welsummer eggs are unusually small, and then a couple others are unusually large and elongated. One of the EE eggs is very porous. I just don't feel that they are high quality eggs. But, again, I will know more when the hatch date gets here. This is my first time to incubate - so maybe the things I'm concerned about aren't important - and my candling skills are certainly at the beginner level.

All eggs arrived in good condition - they were packed well.

Last edited:
I have.. several times from different sellers..

i've had hatch rates between 8% for one (being the lowest) to 74% (being the highest).. and a range in between

I normally have between 90 & 100% hatch rate from my own eggs

shipped eggs, regardless of where they are from, are always a gamble.. and a lot of the people who sell here also sell on eBay

i orederd alot of eggs off ebay from top sellers with good reviews, all eggs came and were in perfect shape. been in the incubator for two days but the shelles are dark so i cant really c inside when candled. one i know for sure isnt fertile becuse i can see right trough it and see the yolk. the others have a red tent to i hope there good. its my first time hatching eggs. soo i dnt know much about them.

i have bought and sold a bunch on ebay. check there feedback, ask alot of questions, closer to you in distance the better, i have had two 100 percent hatches with eggs i shipped, the worst hatch i know of was 45 percent hatch. but they went from tenn to washington state, very long road trip. its always a gamble with shipped eggs. alot depends on your hatch that you have no control over. what kind of eggs are you looking for. you might be able to find someone on byc that has what your looking for. good luck.

Hi! I just rec'd my eggs already hatched for me from ebay. I got 13 White rock chicks. These people sell hatching eggs and they offer to hatch them for you for no extra charge. I had 1 chick that did not make it so I got 12 straight run white rock chicks for $30 total.

As far as other hatching eggs, I got the 12 Speckled Sussex for $1 plus shipping and many were porous and dirty. I never hatched them b/c I was going out of town during their hatch time. I also tried GLW and only 1 hatched but I was/am still learning what works for my incubator. So that is more my fault.

Ebay, it's cheaper for a reason. Just kidding. I have had different results. Some eggs break, some never hatch! The last time, I had a hatch rate of about 25%. I ended up with three chicks out of a dozen. One was deformed, he couldn't lift his head off of his back. I braced it with a band-aid and he could eat and drink, so I didn't cull him. He is a year old now. I bought 6 more chicks from Ideal and with the two rooster together. You can clearly see that "Band-Aid" is clear the lesser of the two. His color is duller and his feathers are not as golden, they are Buff Orpingtons. The same with the hen, Blondie. I love Band-Aid and wouldn't trade him for anything. He did turn out to be a good rooster and has a great chickenality (personality). He does have a wheeze when he breathes, so he can't sneak up on you!
lau.gif

Also, I have 11 blue and black Ameraucana eggs in the incubator now on day 4 and from what I could see candling, all except one have veins!
big_smile.png
I got these eggs from ebay. I need 1 hen b/c I have 2 roos and no girls. My stooopid dog seems to prefer killing hens over roos. So if I get 1 girl, I will be a happy chicken Mom!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom