Anyone have their chickens "forget" how to use a nesting box?

Nibarlan

Songster
5 Years
Jan 9, 2019
South Georgia, USA
This is the most aggravating thing. They all used the next box(best nest box for those wondering, works great) about 95% of the time with only the occasional oopsy egg. It's winter so they've slowed down and some have been through a molt, well a couple that have started to lay again now just lay where ever. I've tired piling wood and junk in the places they lay, then they just move. I've started filling the the nest box with shavings and fake eggs again and this seems to work....sometimes, but even then once I try to ween them back to normal they just lay where ever again. I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to lock the offending hens(based on the eggs it's 1 for sure I caught in the act and maybe a second) in the nest box all day until they lay.

It's not REALLY the end of the world as they know to at least go in the coop so the eggs are always just sitting right there, but I had them trained and now it's like dealing with teenagers again. Anyone else experience this?

Mine are doing that now too. Instead of laying in the nesting boxes they lay inside the coop but it’s always right in plain view where I can find them easily so I don’t mind much. They also try to sleep inside the nesting boxes no matter what I try to put in there!

Even if it's the best nest, plenty big and no prior issues, they seem to have a problem with it now. Try adding another nest box, I use a plastic dog house (38x29x30) for a nest, it's enough for 4 BO max. Your girls may have used it in the past but they're older and maybe prefer more space.

Even if it's the best nest, plenty big and no prior issues, they seem to have a problem with it now. Try adding another nest box, I use a plastic dog house (38x29x30) for a nest, it's enough for 4 BO max. Your girls may have used it in the past but they're older and maybe prefer more space.
I promise you it's not space, I got the medium model for that reason. I literally can't get any bigger in the coop.

I have one girl who still, after 4 months, has trouble knowing when she’s going to lay. She manically paces back & forth in front of the nest box, then gets in the box “just in time”...or not. One day an egg literally fell from her vent as she jumped up to the nest box (caught it on camera) and a number of times I’ve found them under the roost, in the dust bath, in the run. She does lay in the nesting box about half the time, so she does know where to go. It’s just frustrating! Wish I could offer suggestions to help but I’ve got nothing! :idunno

6 chickens total and "1" nest, but like I said it's the best nest box so it's plenty big and they've had no problem with it before.
It's this 24" wide roll out?:
https://bestnestbox.com/collections...munity-nest-box-reversible?variant=4838346884

I've started filling the the nest box with shavings and fake eggs again and this seems to work....sometimes, but even then once I try to ween them back to normal they just lay where ever again.
How long have you left the bedding in the nest?
Might need to leave it longer.

It's this 24" wide roll out?:
https://bestnestbox.com/collections...munity-nest-box-reversible?variant=4838346884

How long have you left the bedding in the nest?
Might need to leave it longer.

Yep! To the first question, really great nest box when they remember their training and I think you're probably right, I filled it back up with shavings again and found eggs in the nest again and no "naughty eggs". I'm just going to keep doing that until everyone is done with their molt and laying regularly again.

Back
Top Bottom