Anyone have their chickens "forget" how to use a nesting box?

Yup I'm going through the same thing, mine used to lay in the nesting boxes exclusively. Now I can't hardly get any of them to lay there. Now they lay in the corner of the coop right by the door so it's not really anymore inconvenient to collect them from there than from the nest boxes but I put hard work into providing what I thought would be the "cats meow" place for them to lay so I feel a little dissed:mad:. Now if I move the eggs to the nesting boxes and leave them there for another day then I can get them to lay some in there but this time of year you don't really want to leave them out there overnight(unless you just like frozen eggs:barnie)

Yup I'm going through the same thing, mine used to lay in the nesting boxes exclusively. Now I can't hardly get any of them to lay there. Now they lay in the corner of the coop right by the door so it's not really anymore inconvenient to collect them from there than from the nest boxes but I put hard work into providing what I thought would be the "cats meow" place for them to lay so I feel a little dissed:mad:. Now if I move the eggs to the nesting boxes and leave them there for another day then I can get them to lay some in there but this time of year you don't really want to leave them out there overnight(unless you just like frozen eggs:barnie)

Luckily I'm in GA so it's barely freezing at night and of course a bit warmer in the coop so I have had to worry about frozen eggs yet :p

Back
Top Bottom