anyone in England ?

The hens will do it all. Hens have been raising chicks on their own in all kinds of weather for millions of years - that was before heat lamps.
I've had hens hatch and brood chicks down as low as -5C.
When it got colder than that I did hang a heat lamp above the food and water so when the chicks came out from under the hen, they could eat and drink in comfort but not in warmer conditions.
At 4 C or above, the chicks run around in the cold for a while and then run back under the hen periodically to warm up and then they are out running around again. They really aren't that fragile. They do need a warm spot (under the hen) but not around the clock.

Perfect thats great and what I wanted to hear. Thank you. My son has some concerns that the other hens will eat the chicks....??
There is no more formidable foe in the chicken world than a broody hen protecting her chicks.
Noe of the other hens will mess with them and by the time the broodies when the chicks, they will be accepted as members of the flock.

I wanted to add that in the last 2 or 3 winters I've had hens and roosters opt to sleep in trees at night through freezing cold, rain and snow. They were very healthy due to the continuous supply of fresh air - that is until they were eventually taken by prdators.
A friend of mine has a very nicely built coop and predator proof run. They only go in the coop to lay eggs. Otherwise they have slept out in the run year round - for years.

Last edited:
Hi everybody, I’m in Scotland (Perthshire area)

my cockerel Joe is looking for a new home and I’m just finding out if it’s any use posting it here.
He is good temperament, friendly, and good with the girls.
We currently have him to a group of 9 hens but need to free up some space in the coop.
Not looking for a sale, we are happy to give him away for free under the condition he goes to a good home.
We also have a lavender ameraucana hen so they could always be sold as a breeding pair.
Let me know if interested :)
101BE1ED-F606-45D5-9C67-1AE88332A0FE.jpeg
14D5BD7B-CFE4-4A84-A662-72A1A9C965D3.jpeg
53CC0F2F-552B-4AAC-A70B-2D3253410663.jpeg

Hi everybody, I’m in Scotland (Perthshire area)

my cockerel Joe is looking for a new home and I’m just finding out if it’s any use posting it here.
He is good temperament, friendly, and good with the girls.
We currently have him to a group of 9 hens but need to free up some space in the coop.
Not looking for a sale, we are happy to give him away for free under the condition he goes to a good home.
We also have a lavender ameraucana hen so they could always be sold as a breeding pair.
Let me know if interested :)
View attachment 3265287View attachment 3265288View attachment 3265289
He’s gorgeous!

Hi. Can anyone direct me to where I buy (store) buy Poultry wound spray, Neosporin, Iodine and Enroflaxin please? Or any alternatives please? My duck has bumblefoot and deliveries are all a few days or more and I've never done this before and my shopping list of from what I found on a first aid kit xxx

Hi everyone! We live in West Yorkshire between Huddersfield and Brighouse! We are looking to buy a female goose for our gander as someone has stolen his mate and he is just distraught as are we 😢 if anyone knows of some local suppliers it would help us a lot! We can’t travel very far sadly. The one on the right is our gander, the one on the left was taken 😢
IMG_4871.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom