Anyone Know What Breeds Are In This Sweet Dog?

henny1129

Crazy Livestock Gal
Mar 21, 2016
The Great Buckeye State!
We got one of our dogs, Murphy, from a shelter a little over a year ago. I've always wondered what's in him, so I thought I'd ask some of the dog experts on BYC! :D He's a bit wary around strangers (he would never bite, he just gets scared and runs to his cage), but once he gets to know you he is a complete sweetheart. He seems to have a hunting instinct and he protects all of our livestock from anything to big birds flying ahead, to cats, and to whatever else may be intruding on our yard. He also seems to protect the people that he cares about. He likes other dogs and adores our little Beagle. And he is also very athletic and loves to climb! I just put this personality stuff in there incase any breeds have a personality like this. :) Here's some pictures:

We were thinking definitely something "houndy" and maybe some Pointer in there......? Anyone wanna take a guess? :D Thanks for your input in advance!

He looks like he might have some shorthair pointer in him. The body type and little black spots all over him suggest that. Looks like he might have some beagle in him, too. How big is he?

He's very pretty!! His stance resembles a shorthair pointer, but he is a bit larger bodied. His markings look like a shorthair pointer as well as a beagle, and so does his stance. Does he bark a lot?

Just my thoughts because it is kinda fun guessing.

I thought German Shorthair Pointer x Beagle also, but with both GSP and Beagles having long heavy ears, you would think Murphy would have longer ears than he does?

How about a Boxer x Beagle? Which might explain the slightly larger body and not so long ears?

He's very pretty!! His stance resembles a shorthair pointer, but he is a bit larger bodied. His markings look like a shorthair pointer as well as a beagle, and so does his stance. Does he bark a lot?

Thanks! He doesn't bark to much, only when something comes in the yard he's not familiar with or when someone he doesn't know pulls in the drive way. And it's more of a bark, not a howl. And I forgot to say he has rough/wire-y fur.
Just my thoughts because it is kinda fun guessing.

I thought German Shorthair Pointer x Beagle also, but with both GSP and Beagles having long heavy ears, you would think Murphy would have longer ears than he does?

How about a Boxer x Beagle? Which might explain the slightly larger body and not so long ears?

It is fun to guess! :) He does have short, little ears......I just looked up Boxer x Beagle mixes and they look very similar to Murphy.

Back
Top Bottom