Araucana thread anyone?

I just got back from being away for a week and I can't believe the growth in the chicks that I got from Stacykins....and the tufts. Stacy your chicks are getting the longest tufts ever. Of the 13 I got, I lost 2. One was a black hen that I lost about 10 days ago and the other was a blue that was too young to tell. I have 2 black hens and I think 3 more hens at least. The tufts are coming is really thick and even on some of them too.

I just moved them to a bigger stall and will start making adjustments to move them outside more. I'm just nervious abt that since I lost so many to predators. Hubby said he would help me work on coop tomorrow as he is laid off from work for the 3 rd week in a row. Now if I can get him to help building the new fenced in runs for them.

Stacy the mottled black one is definately a roo. I'm not disappointed at all. I have a couple that, if they keep developing like I think, I may take them to my first show in Frankmuth, Mi.

I hope to get some good pics as these tufts are something else. The two chicks that I hatched from the eggs that I got from you, are still blue chicks whick I am expecting to probably turn into blue spashes... which means breed to one of the blacks will give me all blues.

I am very happy that at least three more are looking to be girls! I sometimes have a hard time sexing them, until really obvious things give the sex away, like rooster feathers, crowing, or eggs! That'll be really exciting if you take them to the show. People will get to see what REAL Araucanas look like, unless there is someone else showing them too. The blacks will definitely have a good chance to doing very well in a show, since they are SOP colors.

Wow, 622 pages! I just found this thread while looking for info. on the rumpless gene ~ obviously haven't read through 622 pages. I really only have one question. Does anyone have a good resource reference for how the rumpless gene works?

I do not have any Araucana, but in crossing some Ameraucana-bred OliveEggers, I have ended up with a rumpless bird. I'm trying to figure out how this happened.
idunno.gif
I haven't studied anything about the rumpless gene since I don't have any rumpless birds. Any recommendations on resources would be appreciated!

Sometimes the rump-less will just show up. I had a rump-less Barred Rock. Another Bycer said that she had a rump-less bird show up a Sussex if I remember correctly and it was not fertile. My rump-less roo was infertile too.

Wow, 622 pages! I just found this thread while looking for info. on the rumpless gene ~ obviously haven't read through 622 pages. I really only have one question. Does anyone have a good resource reference for how the rumpless gene works?

I do not have any Araucana, but in crossing some Ameraucana-bred OliveEggers, I have ended up with a rumpless bird. I'm trying to figure out how this happened.
idunno.gif
I haven't studied anything about the rumpless gene since I don't have any rumpless birds. Any recommendations on resources would be appreciated!

There are three types of rumpless, all caused by different genetics. They are dominant rumpless (complete and incomplete), recessive rumplessness, and accidental rumplessness.

This article explains it beautifully!

Ok...so don't laugh I am brand new to chickens. I know ducks but not chickens. I just got my first two lil pullets (they are sooo cute) and after research am playing a guessing game. I went to a farm that had all sorts barred rocks, black stars, copper marans, different bantams,and ect. Anyhow when I was able to go there he was at work and his daughter sold me the chicks. I am pretty sure the black one is a black star sex link...but the other one is a complete mystery to me...she definitely looks mottled to me. any guesses? and do you agree i chose a black sex link?

Back
Top Bottom