Arbitrary Shower thoughts

Maddog_photog

Songster
May 22, 2020
San Diego, CA
So quick kinda silly question: a friend showed me a video featuring someone (not me) who brought a duckling on a leash to a dog park. Obviously dogs are a danger for duckling, my question is, having raised two ducklings, how does a duck on a leash work? The only way I can imagine that working is that the duckling is running away from the human, not like a dog which is sniffing around and the purpose of the leash is to keep doggo with human, or the human with the doggo. Here’s a YouTube link to see the video yourself, **there is cursing at the end**

I have never liked the idea of taking any kind of poultry for a walk, getting the bird used to a leach usually takes a great deal of time for them to even get used to the idea, in that training process a great deal of stress is caused to the bird, then as you suggested the risk of the bird getting injured by dogs or training is increased. I'm sure a few people are going to come and post how they take their ducks for walks and they do fine, if you want your bird to exercise you should provide a clean spacious pen for the bird to do so. IMO, taking poultry for walks is another good example of us humans trying to get birds to do something that they were never intended to do, its really simply for our pleasure.

I have never liked the idea of taking any kind of poultry for a walk, getting the bird used to a leach usually takes a great deal of time for them to even get used to the idea, in that training process a great deal of stress is caused to the bird, then as you suggested the risk of the bird getting injured by dogs or training is increased. I'm sure a few people are going to come and post how they take their ducks for walks and they do fine, if you want your bird to exercise you should provide a clean spacious pen for the bird to do so. IMO, taking poultry for walks is another good example of us humans trying to get birds to do something that they were never intended to do, its really simply for our pleasure.
I personally have no desire to take my ducks for a walk on a leash. I just can’t wrap my mind around how it would work outside of the bird is running away from me, but since it is leashed, it will never get away. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom