are chickens pets?

Are chickens pets?

• yes

Votes: 329 92.9%
  • no

Votes: 25 7.1%

• Total voters
Pets or no? Yes I would say they are more pets.Unfortunatly some of these pets have a limited life expectancy. When they stop laying some of them will go. When I rooster no longer serves his purpose he will also go. I like to play with colors and such so once I see what I roosters overspring with my various hens he will have to go to make room for a new rooster, with different genes. Their are those special hens I wont let get butchered, because either they are to sweet, or are great mothers. But if I have very little attachment they will have to go to make room for new birds. Im a college student, and while my parents will help a lot, I sometimes get stuck with the feed bill, and when I don't have enough eggs to sell it gets tough. But I wouldn't trade my girls and boys for anything else. I love them lots.

Yes mine are pets!! I have 29 girls and boys and they all have names. Yes they really know their names!!! They all love to be held and some throw little fits if you don't have time to really cuddle with them. That's my fault though because for 2 years now I have gone out in the yard and read in my lounge chair with them. I have taught them to snuggle with me while I read. I have about 8 that will get up on the chair and fall asleep on me for over an hr. (all potty trained too- never been pooped on)

They are very smart and sweet. I can't imagine not having them! I have had chickens for 4 years now and I make a lot of sacrifices for them like always planning my evenings around making sure they are locked up every night. Also coming home and spending my lunch time with them just to make sure they are safe. Their companionship is so worth any sacrifices!!!

I have a pet flock, and birds that are not pets. My pet flock consists of my first chickens. They will retire here, and live out their lives. Chickens definitely have the potential to be very responsive pets. I had a pet polish that was very attached to us. Not for food either.

I have a pet flock, and birds that are not pets. My pet flock consists of my first chickens. They will retire here, and live out their lives. Chickens definitely have the potential to be very responsive pets. I had a pet polish that was very attached to us. Not for food either.
That's the way it is for us, too... We have birds that are pets, and then there are birds that aren't pets, and just like you, our Polish are extremely attached to us without the need for treats. They just seem to really enjoy being around their favorite people.

Mine are pets too! We really enjoy both the eggs and the chickens, especially the EE's beards and puffy cheeks!
love.gif

That's the way it is for us, too... We have birds that are pets, and then there are birds that aren't pets, and just like you, our Polish are extremely attached to us without the need for treats. They just seem to really enjoy being around their favorite people.
Still miss Wendy every day! I have two more polish, and one is half blind, but is so hilarious that she will be here for her entire life. The other one is younger and not really a pet. Wendy died last January. I miss her.. She was a character! Would fly up to my shoulder to roost.. and loved watching TV with us. She was a house chicken when the weather proved nearly fatal to her. Obviously was not the strongest bird, but I enjoyed her quite a lot while I had her!
IMG_3383.jpg
_MG_3290.jpg
IMG_0578-1.jpg
IMG_0591-1.jpg
Better watch your eyes though :gig I find the Houdan very similar in temperament to the polish. Maybe a little less flighty. The girls anyway. Boys are sketchier than any other breed I raise.
_MG_6216.jpg
The added benefit of the houdan over the polish - is if you DO get a mean bird or they don't really make the cut the second year around - they weigh 8 lbs for males and roughly 6 pounds for females.

I think Polish peck at our eyes because they're jealous that we can see.
gig.gif
Poor Seamus the Cat has given the chickens a wide berth ever since Chicky Gaga pecked his eyeball while he was just minding his own business.

Gaga was a house chicken briefly while she recovered from a wound on her neck, and she's never forgotten the experience. Every now and then I still catch her trying to follow me inside. If I had a diaper for her, I'd let her in in a heartbeat--she's an excellent houseguest, and really helps keep the bugs down! lol

Mine are pets... I could never eat my pet... so these girls don't have to worry about it... They are so sweet and funny, They're turning me into a vegetarian
barnie.gif

I think Polish peck at our eyes because they're jealous that we can see. :gig Poor Seamus the Cat has given the chickens a wide berth ever since Chicky Gaga pecked his eyeball while he was just minding his own business. Gaga was a house chicken briefly while she recovered from a wound on her neck, and she's never forgotten the experience. Every now and then I still catch her trying to follow me inside. If I had a diaper for her, I'd let her in in a heartbeat--she's an excellent houseguest, and really helps keep the bugs down! lol
I made my own diapers for Wendy!
IMG_3386.jpg
I actually got quite good at it. She liked this one best. :lol: We always joke when spring rolls around that we are going to bring another one inside.. The bugs are terrible that time of year.
IMG_3312.jpg
It was nice to have company inside. She was a great house chicken for sure! Oh and the entire flock tried to come inside at our old place... One day the door was left open and Penny was standing by the fridge.. :rolleyes:

My chickens are pets because they act like pets. I could never let any of my animals die so they never had to worry about being butchered, but I didn't expect the chickens to be so friendly either. For out first flock, someone was selling 11 hens and 1 rooster. I asked if I had to take the rooster and she said yes. Well he turned out to be the best chicken ever, he was very sweet and loved to snuggle. Then I started hatching out my own chicks so that I could raise them from the beginning and I swear half of them act like dogs. They follow me when I allow it and love to snuggle and play. My favorite is a little black frizzle cochin silkie cross (not the prettiest, but definately the sweetest) He could snuggle with me for hours, even as a chick he would chirp at the top of his lungs whenever I wasn't there and when I finally gave in and came, he would race into my hand and fall asleep. Chickens are the greatest.

Back
Top Bottom