Are crows a threat to my chickens?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
Recently I've seen a crow near my chicken coop. I have found crow feathers in the run. Today a crow was on the other side of the run fighting with my silkie hen through the fence. Then it decided to fly inside the run and walk around. At that point it heard me knocking on the window and flew away. I have chicks. 3 weeks olds and 6 week olds. They currently live inside the coop 24/7, but I plan on moving the bigger ones out at 8 weeks old. They're silkies. Could that crow decide my 8 week olds look like a snack? Could I do something to scare the crow away? I know they're very smart birds and can't really be tricked that easily. I could try putting a net over the run. At what age would they leave my chicks alone? I really love crows, but I won't tolerate them messing with my chickens.

The chicks mother will deal with any crows that fancy a chick snack. Your chicks do have their mother with them of course, don't they.
Oh, possibly not then.:hmm A lesson to be learned here perhaps...

Yes, a crow is a threat to baby chicks that have niether a mother, or a tribe to protect them. Your best bet is to make any run crow proof with a netted roof. This is a good idea for any run.

On the plus side, if you have crows then they can and do drive off hawks that might also fancy a chick snack

The chicks mother will deal with any crows that fancy a chick snack. Your chicks do have their mother with them of course, don't they.
Oh, possibly not then.:hmm A lesson to be learned here perhaps...

Yes, a crow is a threat to baby chicks that have niether a mother, or a tribe to protect them. Your best bet is to make any run crow proof with a netted roof. This is a good idea for any run.

On the plus side, if you have crows then they can and do drive off hawks that might also fancy a chick snack
My 3 week olds have a mother hen, but the 6 week olds don't. I don't really have a need for crows to stick around cause there aren't many hawks in the city. Seagulls I've seen, but no hawks. I will put a net over the run as soon as I can, thanks.

Recently I've seen a crow near my chicken coop. I have found crow feathers in the run. Today a crow was on the other side of the run fighting with my silkie hen through the fence. Then it decided to fly inside the run and walk around. At that point it heard me knocking on the window and flew away. I have chicks. 3 weeks olds and 6 week olds. They currently live inside the coop 24/7, but I plan on moving the bigger ones out at 8 weeks old. They're silkies. Could that crow decide my 8 week olds look like a snack? Could I do something to scare the crow away? I know they're very smart birds and can't really be tricked that easily. I could try putting a net over the run. At what age would they leave my chicks alone? I really love crows, but I won't tolerate them messing with my chickens.
Crows ate my young pullets and my daughters free range young chickens. hope you didnt loose any chicks and young chickens to that crow. They are smart and will kill young chickens. Unless you catch them in the act all you will find will be feathers. They carry them off in their beak or eat them on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom