Are game hens chickens?

MrTexan87

Chirping
Apr 20, 2024
So ill start off saying im brand new to chickens and trying to learn as much as i can. I recently aquired some chickens and i noticed they were alot smaller then i had expected a chicken too be and ive come to find out they are game hens. They have beautiful colors but they are small. Anyways my idea or goal is to eventually start selling chicks in my area but are game hens even worth selling chicks? Today i got my first roo. Ive been told hes a mystic onyx and hes been very chill i really like him.

Game hens are chickens.
Selling chicks will not make you any money unless you are very large scale, so sell whatever you want.
That said, game birds are probably especially unpopular (when it comes to chicks.)
Thanks this is pretty much what i was expecting to hear. Im not going to sell chicks of this breed then ill just keep them for eggs. They are my first chickens and so im already forming a kind of bond to them lol. I will be getting other chickens as well and ill trying and focus on those for chicks. The thing im confused about is people are saying game hens are meat birds ? But mine are really small like maybe 2 Ibs. Maybe im confused lol but theres so many breeds and stuff to learn.

Thanks this is pretty much what i was expecting to hear. Im not going to sell chicks of this breed then ill just keep them for eggs. They are my first chickens and so im already forming a kind of bond to them lol. I will be getting other chickens as well and ill trying and focus on those for chicks. The thing im confused about is people are saying game hens are meat birds ? But mine are really small like maybe 2 Ibs. Maybe im confused lol but theres so many breeds and stuff to learn.
Indian Game or Cornish are meat birds. Is yours a Cornish bantam? While those are primarily for exhibition they can be used for meat as well.
Other game breeds were used primarily for fighting until cockfighting was outlawed and are now used primarily for exhibition. The bantams are too small to make much of a meal.

No, game hens are not meat birds. They are an older breed. Typically, they are small, flighty and go broody frequently. I like to keep a few to hatch out eggs. They make amazing mamas!

Raising chicks for sale would be a loss of your time and money unless you can compete with a hatchery. Your better bet would be to raise them to harvest and process them to sell at market or to regular clients.
I have people in my area selling chicks and pullets/ laying for Alot of money depending on breed. I get my hens for free so i dont have any cost there and i have alot of free time. I dont expect to get rich but i know a few people who make good side hustle.

Game hens in the store are a couple of week old Cornish Cross meat chickens/chicks ...

Old English Game female chickens are "game hens" 3-4 pounds live weight ... There also is a bantam variety 1/3 that size ...

Along with other "game chickens" that were/are fighters ... Modern, aseel, shamo ... And others

these sound like old english game bantams. largefowl games make better birds to eat and larger eggs. if you get a 'name' family strain or breed you can make real money as some of these go for $400 to $$$$thousands. no, i dont sell my gamefowl

Back
Top Bottom