Are heavier chicken breeds more prone to heart attacks?

PiGE0N

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 28, 2012
I know it's more common in commerical broiler breeds that are bred to grow big in such a short amount of time, but what about other big chicken breeds like brahmas?

My light brahma hen, who was 4 years old, suddenly died and I don't exactly know what caused her death so quickly, she was acting perfectly normal when I was feeding her and the rest of my flock some plain cooked pasta treats, then only 2-3 hours later I find her already dead, body still very warm, and not stiff in the slightest. No plucked feathers, sign of predation struggle, or visible injuries, she hadn't shown any prior signs of illness or anything either, laid eggs normally, today's temperature was warm, but not hot.
She was lying down on her side/chest, neck feathers seemed a bit flared up? I can't remember if her legs were spread out, but the wing she wasn't lying on was out a bit. Her comb was darker/burgundy in color and her eyes were completely closed...

Since she was lying dead next the tools we had propped up against the outside of their run, I thought maybe the shovel that she was lying next to had fallen and hit her on the head/neck, she wasn't under it though and I honestly can't recall if the shovel was already on the ground or not... so my best guess is a heart attack...
I would've taken her to get a necropsy the next day, but I don't have room for such a big bird in the freezer and it probably wouldn't be something I could afford at the moment... so I already buried her in my backyard 💔
Any other possibilities that could've caused such a sudden death?

I'm sorry about your hen.

There are so many things that could suddenly happened, it would be hard to know unless a necropsy is performed.

With laying hens, reproductive disorders, fatty liver and/or organ failure can be common.

Back
Top Bottom