Are my chicks crossed with light Sussex or delaware?

Brianna245

Songster
5 Years
Aug 7, 2018
Canada B.C
Hello fellow chicken lovers!
I have purchased two day old sexed female chicks. I was told the roo was a buff orpington and the hen was a light sussex, but I noticed they have a black streak on their heads so now im thinking maybe they are crossed with delaware instead of sussex, im not sure though.
20220820_145400.jpg
20220820_145418.jpg
What do you think?

Attachments

• 20220820_145426.jpg
    20220820_145426.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 2
I don't think the dark streak on the head will tell you either way.

For pullet chicks, with a Buff Orpington father, I cannot think of any way to tell whether the chicks have a Light Sussex mother or a Delaware mother.

The differences I can think of between Light Sussex and Delware:
--Light Sussex have white feet, Delawares have yellow feet. (But with a white-footed Buff Orpington father, all chicks should have white feet anyway, so this is not useful.)

--Delawares have white barring, while Light Sussex do not. (But a hen passes barring to her sons only, not to her daughters. So if your chicks are pullets, this is not helpful either.)

Were you able to actually see the parents?

Last edited:
The stripe on the head is just some pattern, no meaning to the mix.

If Delaware, you'd expect sexlinked male chicks with a headspot, which would be white, or slightly yellow. But the cross would also be sexlinked by Silver from the Delaware hen as well, so headspot on males would be hard too see.

This crossing is sexlinked by a silver female though, meaning female chicks would be Buff/gold at hatch, & males yellowish white.

I don't think the dark streak on the head will tell you either way.

For pullet chicks, with a Buff Orpington father, I cano't think of any way to tell whether the chicks have a Light Sussex mother or a Delaware mother.

The differences I can think of between Light Sussex and Delware:
--Light Sussex have white feet, Delawares have yellow feet. (But with a white-footed Buff Orpington father, all chicks should have white feet anyway, so this is not useful.)

--Delawares have white barring, while Light Sussex do not. (But a hen passes barring to her sons only, not to her daughters. So if your chicks are pullets, this is not helpful either.)

Were you able to actually see the parents?
I didn't see the parents, But after hearing what you said im sure they are light sussex like the person said. I was just not expecting the black streaks:)

Back
Top Bottom