Are Silkies harder to hatch?

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
Are silkies really harder to hatch out than others? I've been having a hard time getting mine to hatch(NONE have hatched so far...) and now I have 13 shipped ones that will be going in tomorrow. Any tips on hatching those stubborn little things???

Are silkies really harder to hatch out than others? I've been having a hard time getting mine to hatch(NONE have hatched so far...) and now I have 13 shipped ones that will be going in tomorrow. Any tips on hatching those stubborn little things???

I was wondering the same thing. I incubated 6 silkie eggs and only one hatched a week ago. They all looked good going into lockdown. I almost lost the one I hatched. I got a few bantam Cochins so that she would not be by herself. Now she is the queen of the brooder. She is so funny. I would like to try again sometime. That is her in my avatar pic.

Last edited:
Silkies are no more difficult to hatch than any other chicken. Some of the fancy ones have genetic issues, but that generally shows up after hatch. If you can't hatch chicks in your incubator as well as a Hen setting her own eggs, your doing something wrong.

I've never had a problem with my other eggs, I've gotten 14/15 to hatch several times, it's just these silkies that are giving me problems...

Hey there,I have 12 I need to send off tomorrow.If you are interested in trying these White Silkies.They are very Beautiful.5 toes,blue earlobes,Mulberry combs the works.The parents are registered and they lay a lot.I mean the hens lay a lot. 12@ $35 S/H included.Just to let you know....Sandra Huffman [email protected] 910-324-4518

I'm having the exact same problem. I bought 14 silkie hatching eggs that were shipped from California to Ohio (maybe this is where the problem lies). Anyways, I have always had great success hatching eggs in the bator. I just threw out all of these eggs but not before I careful open each one. 8 had blood rings, 4 had just yolk (not fertile), and 2 were quitters at about 5-6 days. I bought another 12 from the same individual because I had a hard time finding silkie eggs locally. I'm hatching these in my classroom and I'd hate to not have any hatch at all so I put a few barnyard mix eggs in as well and they are flourishing at day 15. I thought maybe silkies were harder to hatch as well.

Anyone know of someone who sells silkie hatching eggs in Ohio?

Back
Top Bottom